Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
    Why can’t we?

I know this case decision won’t give it to us, but it does help down the road.
    Due to the fact that Dan Patrick's feelings are more important than Texan's rights, not to mention the fact that he bought and paid for by various Law Enforcement lobby groups.

Comment

Originally posted by donpablo View Post

Here’s what bugs me about this situation. Why can’t we as conservatives get out in front of this? Why don’t we educate these people so that the state looks as red as Oklahoma (I’d say TX but lately...)? Then if/when people started talking statehood, it wouldn’t be the dems.
      I see several comments like this in this and many other forums. Not you but some people will even say that Texas is moving backwards or becoming more blue in reference to gun rights, etc.

But let’s go back not so long ago in history. In Texas it has been pretty much against the law to carry a handgun outside of your home unless you’re a police officer for 150 years. Then in the mid-1990s, then Governor George Bush signed the CHL law. For the first time since before the Civil War, Texans could actually legally carry a concealed handgun in the state. It was made a shall issue law so cities could not intervene. Yes it took a license and yes you had to go to a class but that was huge

Then in the last two decades we have slowly made progress. The cost of the license was reduced a couple of times (I think now $40 or $8 a year for 5 years), the penalty for breaking the law and carrying a handgun past the proper prohibition signage was reduced from up to a year in jail to a fine only, handguns became completely legal to carry in a car without any license required as long as it was concealed and the CHL then became a license to carry openly. Wow that may not be the popular Constitutional carry argument, I believe it has gone from being completely illegal to fairly open. In fact there’s only that one last step to make and that is being debated right now.

Then to carry knives in public which were more than a 5 1/2 inch blade, was equal to carrying a handgun and was also UCW. In fact the Texas law did not distinguish between a knife of over 5 1/2 inches or with any kind of double edge and a handgun. You could also not possess a switchblade even in your own home. It was prohibited. Again, Texas removed the switchblade as being an illegal weapon and then removed the length prohibition on knives.

Again not you, but when I see people saying that we are losing our self defense rights, we can look back about 25 years and in my opinion have made huge strides. I would guess that most adults reading this forum, in their lifetime could not legally carry many knives and no handguns in public at all. Rather than losing our rights, I think we are gaining them and at a fairly steady pace. It seems like every session or two we are chipping away at the previous prohibitions going back to before the Civil War.

In my opinion....

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
        Overall at this point there isn't anyone that has done more, but there are several that are true 2A groups that are quickly gaining ground. The issue is the NRA has become a for profit business disguised as a non-profit. Just do some research is all I ask. Be informed.
        I, for one, don't understand how anyone who owns a gun isn't a member in the least. Yet, there are some here who bash the best organization that protects the 2A. I fully support the NRA, my wife and I are life members and for a while there, Charlton Heston was my President. If $3/mo is too much for you to contribute to THE best organization, then that's a real shame. Hows that for research? Where do you send your money?

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
          I, for one, don't understand how anyone who owns a gun isn't a member in the least. Yet, there are some here who bash the best organization that protects the 2A. I fully support the NRA, my wife and I are life members and for a while there, Charlton Heston was my President. If $3/mo is too much for you to contribute to THE best organization, then that's a real shame. Hows that for research? Where do you send your money?

Well at least you are passionate about it. I too am a lifetime member from a long time ago. My eyes are just open now. Just FYI the NRA is NOTHING like it was when Heston was there. Do you though sir. That still one freedom we are allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by one66stang View Post
            Well at least you are passionate about it. I too am a lifetime member from a long time ago. My eyes are just open now. Just FYI the NRA is NOTHING like it was when Heston was there. Do you though sir. That still one freedom we are allowed.
            I will wholeheartedly agree that the NRA has experienced some slippage from the days of Heston and that we need to turn it around into its fierce some self.

Comment

Working...
            X