• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JTRichardson View Post
    Still using McCormicks Montreal Steak Seasoning

pretty hard to beat IMO

I cant imagine ever needing to deviate from this

Comment

Originally posted by Mullet View Post
      @thisladyhunts - How’d you make it? We made some a month ago & it was great. We used Axis hamburger with 10% beef tallow, and followed some recipe online...

Boy, where do I begin? As a wise man once said, it’s not something you make, it’s something you “build.”

I use all the typical ingredients venison (or beef) and pork. Cans of whole peeled tomatoes (San Marzano tomatoes only), onion, garlic, and all the usual Italian herbs.

There are a few non-traditional things I add:

White wine to cover the meats, then cook it down until it’s gone. (Most people use red wine, but I think it overpowers the flavor of the tomatoes.) This adds flavor to the meat (rather than the sauce) and also tenderizes the meat.

Then, add milk to cover the meats, then cook it down until it’s gone. This tenderizes the meats in a different way than the wine does. Makes all the difference.

I had a couple of Parmesan rinds for flavor.

Once all the ingredients have been added, I simmer on low until the sauce cooks down, then I add more water, cook down, add water, cook down...I do this several times throughout the day.

I finish cooking it in the oven at 300-degrees until it reaches the consistency I want. I don’t affect this step on the stove top as it’s easy to scorch.

As a final step, I add a touch of cream. Not enough to change the color of the sauce but enough to give it a touch of richness. The cream gives the sauce a bit of a “silky” feel; it also helps the sauce coat both the pasta and the tongue.

I’ve skipped a lot of steps for the sake of brevity. I have no recipe or instructions. I really should write something down.

PM me if you want more thorough information and we can figure out the best way for me to convey it. It’s a commitment, though. Most people would rather not invest this much time and effort.

Comment

I can’t believe something as fundamentally simple as “seasoning a steak” has generated 4 pages of commentary

Comment

I really like One and Done on a lot of things. I usually mix it and Dzuiks.

Comment

Janes Krazy Mixed-Up salt, Head Country, or Uncle Chris in a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
              Commercial steak seasoning in my house?? Absolutely not! I like the flavor of the beef to shine through and will only use seasonings that enhance that flavor rather than compete with it. Here’s what I do:

Sprinkle steaks with kosher salt (I prefer Diamond over Morton’s. It’s flakier and infiltrates the muscle better.)

Rub (massage) the salt into the meat, adding more as the salt dissolves. Just when you think you might have added too much salt, add more and rub this in as well. (I learned this from the old guy who used to own Hill’s Cafe in Austin. He’s deceased now but nobody understood steak behavior the way he did!) The important thing here is to really massage that salt into the muscle. Don’t worry, you won’t over salt it.

Next, sprinkle both sides with a moderate amount of garlic powder;

Then season both sides with fresh cracked black pepper.

Finally, sprinkle both sides with a modest amount of sugar (yes, sugar!), enough to cover both sides completely. Don’t be stingy with it, but don’t overdo it. The sugar caramelizes under high heat and also helps the pepper adhere to the steak during the cooking process.

All this makes for a wonderfully tasty crust with a lot of integrity; very much like a Pittsburgh-style crust.
              I guess i'll have take your word, and go out buy the salt and start a rubbing,, question, do you let it sit for amount of time before grilling?

Comment

Originally posted by HubCityThumper View Post
                Obie-Cue Steakmaker
                is Obie still around??
                i remember him from wayyyy back when @ Traders Village, with his chicken spice, man he made sum good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                  I guess i'll have take your word, and go out buy the salt and start a rubbing,, question, do you let it sit for amount of time before grilling?

No, not really. I have never found that allowing it to sit for any length of time added anything significant to the texture or the flavor.

When’s dinner?

Comment

Great,,, thanks for the response... i guess this weekend will a good time to try it out,

Comment

Still waiting to hear back about the barnacle dust, sorry didn’t think this thread would get this big either, a lot of opinions out there

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                        Kosher salt, Course ground black pepper, Garlic
                        this just can't be beat. occasionally i'll add just a little chilli powder for something different.

Comment

Originally posted by c3products20 View Post
                          chupacabra!!!!!! I put that sh** on everything!!

Sent from my moto g stylus using tapatalk
                          this

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                            is Obie still around??

i remember him from wayyyy back when @ Traders Village, with his chicken spice, man he made sum good stuff.
                            Yep, online

I just ordered some more sweet rub last week.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by flyinstroke View Post
                              Uncle Chris Steak Seasoning
                              ^^^^^
                              This if I'm short on time or materials. Great on burgers too if short on time.

Comment

Allegro for an hour or so and then a sprinkle of Tony C's

Comment

Working...
                                X