No announcement yet.

Propane or electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

going through a remodel now. We are going back to propane in the kitchen.

Comment

Electricity is great for some things. But it sucks for cooking or heat. Fire > electricity.

Comment

When we built, we went all propane (cooking, water heater, and furnace) and also added a wood burning fireplace (insert). Even if we lose power, we can light propane stove and water heater with a match. A 500 gallon propane tank can be filled in the summer for a fraction of the winter cost and lasts us all year. Plan to add a 14k propane generator w/250 gallon propane tank for times when power is off. We’ve been very fortunate and haven’t lost power for more than 8 hours at a time so I believe our plan is adequate for us.

Comment

The fear factor. It's HUGE!

Comment

Propane or electric

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            My concerns with propane are what happens when you get 3 ft of snow and trucks can't get to you to fill your tank ? Happened up here and folks were snowed in for 2 weeks. Power was back on way before the snow melted enough for folks to get out of their property.

Not really as simple as having propane when the power goes out.

So whats your answer here? I would think if I lived up north where a cold snap/power outage like we had here was more common, I would have gas, electric and wood burning stove. I am actually adding gas and wood burning stove in the near future when we expand onto our shop. No matter what, unless you lose power and run out of propane and wood all the while electricity is down, you will be able to stay warm and cook food. Seems like the backup of all backups outside of a generator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

A mix is best. Propane fireplace/stove, stovetop, and water heater with rest electric.

Comment

Propane! better, cheaper

Comment

Stove and water heater runs off propane. New house will have the same. During the first snow, I was out of electric for 3 days. Was still able to cook and have a hot shower. New house will have a wood burning stove. Then when we lose power, I’ll be able to have heat.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
                    My concerns with propane are what happens when you get 3 ft of snow and trucks can't get to you to fill your tank ? Happened up here and folks were snowed in for 2 weeks. Power was back on way before the snow melted enough for folks to get out of their property.

Not really as simple as having propane when the power goes out.

The 6 P’s apply here.

Proper Planning Prevents **** Poor Performance.

Just like most things, keep an eye on the weather and plan accordingly. As soon as you see a slight chance that the weather could get nasty you top off and plan on only use your priority appliances if the weather gets bad. If somebody’s tank can’t fuel their home for 2 weeks even in extreme weather then their tank is too small.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                      Good stuff y’all. Can you install anti-theft devices on a propane tank?
                      Just have an inground tank put in and no one will know.

Comment

Propane here . Stove and water heater.

Comment

Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                          Never thought of that. Anyone else have an in ground tank?

Comment

Never thought of that. Anyone else have an in ground tank?

We had a buried 500 gal at our previous house. I’d recommend it if possible. Much less of an eyesore

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Good stuff y’all. Can you install anti-theft devices on a propane tank?
                              Originally posted by Hardware View Post
                              Tanks filled with propane are heavy. Real heavy. If someone is picking it up then you better run the other way. If a group of people are stealing it you're also screwed.. They'd far more likely just come in and make themselves at home versus trying to move a 250 gallon propane tank.

Comment

Gotcha! Didn’t know if they could simply pump it out of a tank or what. And preparedness always trumps fear.

Comment

Working...
                                X