Advice on House Purchase or Barndo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
    What is ballpark average price per foot for a built out barndo?
    The buildout on just a 1200-1500 sq ft(just living area) barndo vs conventional house isn't going to be a lot different.

Now if you are building a house, big shop(2500-4000sq ft), porches, awnings there is a fairly big difference.

Comment

One thing is for sure........ Aint nothing cheap right now.

Comment

I haven't read through all of the comments, but I will tell you what I'm doing. My wife and I were looking to build a Barndo on our property, but I've pretty much decided to hold off a while to see how things come out. We will re-visit the idea in a year or so.

If I were currently renting and wanting to buy a place, I would 100% be looking for something that is already standing and livable.

Comment

Now is not the time to build or buy. No chance I would. Especially when it sounds like you have no idea what you want to do.

No chance I would build on a super tight budget. Buy once cry once. Do it right

Comment

Check these guys out. I have 10acres my Mom gave me near Grandview. If you can find some land one of these might do the trick. I know this is probably what I am going to do. Have it finished out to just the roughed in electrical and plumbing stage, insulated so all I have to do is do the interior finish out. https://www.generalshelters.com/cabins/
            Last edited by texan4ut; 04-27-2021, 09:12 AM. Reason: added url

Comment

I’m building. I’m here to tell you it’s horrifying right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                Also. I know I've always "heard" to run away from manufactured homes. IE- trailers.

Is that still the case?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                I bought one and have been living in it for a little over a year. We paid cash for it, and we are paying off our land so we can build on it. You seem to be in the same type situation that I'm in. I want to build, but there is no way I'm building right now. The trailer is worth more than what I owe on the land, so the plan is to save a good chunk for a down payment on a house, and when we're ready to build we'll sell the trailer to pay off land and put more down on the home build. If I were you I'd look that route. If you can find a little piece of property to stick a mobile home on and live in it for a few years it may work for you. It is certainly working for my family. Just do your research on the home manufacturer!

Comment

Flex...the thing about manufactured homes is that they dont increase in value. They decrease in value as soon as they leave the lot. The land under them may increase in value...the county may raise your taxes because they think its more valuable...but the structure itself will not increase in value...historically. Trailers are just fine...but dont expect equity increase like a standard stick built home.

Comment

My son builds Barndos in Burnet, TX

Originally posted by Fmjag64 View Post
                    What is ballpark average price per foot for a built out barndo?
                    No answer for a average quote. When he calls on Red Iron prices (C purlins), the quote is good for 24 hours only. And he buys 2-3 tractor trailer loads at a time!

Prices are crazy right now.

Comment

Appreciate the continued input.

I know what I want to do. Just seems impossible due to budget and location.

I want 1-3 acres and a modest as possible 4 bedroom house or barndo for me and the kids. I am talking bare bones, no frills. Unfortunately due to budget that is looking more like it won't happen unless some sugar mama takes me in!

Realistically realize I'm probably looking at kids sharing a room permanently and or a trailer house, unless I can get out of mileage restrictions and move somewhere cheaper.

Last edited by Flex; 04-27-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                        Appreciate the continued input.

I know what I want to do. Just seems impossible due to budget and location.

I want 1-3 acres and a modest as possible 4 bedroom house for me and the kids. Unfortunately due to budget that is looking more like it won't happen unless some sugar mama took me in!

Realistically realize I'm probably looking at kids sharing a room permanently and or a trailer house, unless I can get out of mileage restrictions and move somewhere cheaper.

Another thing to look at is the size of the property and what it would take to get some type of Exemption in that county. Ideally you want a piece of property with an exemption currently in place.

Comment

Working...
                        X