Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't forget to protest your property taxes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We just got our tax appraisal on the place we bought last August and they raised the appraised value by $100k in one year . We will be protesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
      We just got our tax appraisal on the place we bought last August and they raised the appraised value by $100k in one year . We will be protesting.

I’m assuming they are way over your contract price? If so & you are content with the sale price send a copy of your closing statement with your protest form. As long as it was an arm’s length deal you won’t have an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by huntmaster View Post
        for those that protest, do you do it yourself or hire someone?
        I regularly protest and I personally protest.

Comment

Is the value set for the year at whatever is on the property Jan 1st? If I’m partially into a shop build on Jan 1st, can they charge for a competed building halfway through the year?

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
            costs like $200 to protest... if it saves more than $200 in taxes... it makes money
            'scuse me.................
            Who, and where, do they charge you to protest your taxes..........
            or maybe, I'm missing something.............

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
              Disclaimer - I have no real life experience. Just talking like I know what I'm talking about

Maybe.

Lets say year one they say your property is worth 300k with tax owed say 5k You pay someone to fight and it's lowered to 270k and 4.5k You save $500

Next year they just raise it more to 320k.. repeat. Where if you didn't fight the year before at 300k they would still move it to 320k the next year.

Point is won't they just raise it more the year after you get it lowered? If they set based on comps etc.. then they will just keep raising to whatever it's value should be at. Seems like you may "save" $500 but are you not just pushing it out some and will owe it once they play catch up?

I guess you will save if you fight every year but geez. I see protesting as a way to not let them over value your property.
              Thats the game. If you don’t protest... they add a % to what they dinged you for the last year.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                'scuse me.................
                Who, and where, do they charge you to protest your taxes..........
                or maybe, I'm missing something.............
                There are firms that specialize in valuation protest.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Encinal View Post
                    There are firms that specialize in valuation protest.
                    ok.....got it.............
                    But, it ain't always $200........
                    I thought, you were refering to the county charging $200...

Comment

Anyone know a tax lawyer for Hardin County? I protested last year and settled. This year my appraisal value went up $77,000!!!!! I think I need s lawyer this time.

Comment

We did not get a property tax notice in the mail this year. Just looked it up online and they increased our value by $90k.

Anyone else not get their notice mailed to you?

Comment

Originally posted by Maddox View Post
                          We did not get a property tax notice in the mail this year. Just looked it up online and they increased our value by $90k.

Anyone else not get their notice mailed to you?
                          I have not. I’m in the Woodlands as well.

Comment

Nothing yet... right up the road in Walker county

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Protesting your taxes isn't that hard. They will come down if all you do is show up. If you buck a little, they'll come down a little more. Its just a big game.

The firms that "specialize" in property tax protest, make 40% of the savings for doing almost nothing more than showing up to the tax office and drinking a cup of coffee with the clerk.

Everyone need to protest to keep taxes in check.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                                Protesting your taxes isn't that hard. They will come down if all you do is show up. If you buck a little, they'll come down a little more. Its just a big game.

The firms that "specialize" in property tax protest, make 40% of the savings for doing almost nothing more than showing up to the tax office and drinking a cup of coffee with the clerk.

Everyone need to protest to keep taxes in check.

This guy advertises 1% of your reduction. Seems reasonable to me.

Pay your fair share of property taxes, not more. Our team has over 20 years of experience protesting property values. Sign up is easy and at no risk, we'll only charge if we help you save!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                                X