Found Tri Tip at H-E-B

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    The way my buddy says he cooks it there is to low temp smoke it for about 90 minutes and then finish it over about 600 degree. I think I’m going to try that on this first one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’ve done it that way, it is good. I prefer to start off over coals for 8 minutes fat side down, 6 up and then finish indirect to 135. Did one tonight for us and daughter/SIL, no leftovers

Comment

The way my buddy says he cooks it there is to low temp smoke it for about 90 minutes and then finish it over about 600 degree. I think I’m going to try that on this first one.

I'm going to go this route Tuesday. I figure smoke to ~135° internal then a minute or 2 on each side over 500-600° for a good sear.

Comment

Mouth is watering

Comment

I was introduced to Tri-tip by some brazialian people. they call it Picanha.
          They seasoned with rock salt only and let it sit out until about room temperature and then tossed it on the grill with high heat and cooked to about medium. Melt in your mouth.

Comment

I'm real surprised it's not more popular. How I do mine is leave all fat on. Take a fork and pretend you're in a prison riot and shank the heck out of it with the fork. Rub it down in olive oil, then worchester sauce, and a touch of little smokies. Then I rub garlic powder, montreal steak seasoning, and lawry's. Then just toss it on the grill. After I'll cut some fat off it. Talk about juicy and amazing tasting! I cook it often.

Comment

Made my first tri-tip this weekend, used it for tacos. Seasoned with Meat Church's Holy Cow, smoked it on the Gateway Drum at 325degF for about an hour. Internal was 128degF when I took it off. Very tender and full of flavor. Texture reminded me of a brisket. I'll definitely do it again, but will finish on the grill next time for a good sear.
              Attached Files

Comment

Come on guy's. Ya'll are killing me. Everything looks wonderful.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                  When cooking one like this do you trim all the fat off like Houston hunter did or leave some fat on?
                  Leave the fat on and do a reverse sear. Tri tip has a great beefy flavor. Granzines sells they with their rub on them and they are out standing.

Comment

Originally posted by Keel056 View Post
                    I was introduced to Tri-tip by some brazialian people. they call it Picanha.
                    They seasoned with rock salt only and let it sit out until about room temperature and then tossed it on the grill with high heat and cooked to about medium. Melt in your mouth.
                    Picanha is a completely different cut from TriTip. Picanaha is an outstanding cut of meet as well.

Comment

Wife picked up a Wagyu Tri-tip from HEB last week. I seasoned it let it sit over night and BAM. It was good but not worth the extra $15 over the normal ones at Costco.

Lived out in California for a time so got turned onto them in 2007. Didn't start buying and smoking our own until 2012, while living in Colorado. Glad to see them finally catching on here at home though... much better than Brisket IMO.

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Any of you still on the tri tip wagon. I pulled one out of the freezer today. I'll one of the days coming up. Probably Friday.

Comment

Looks awesome….

Comment

As someone mentioned in this thread last year, Picanha is the way to go. I thought tri tips were great (and they still are!), but a Picanha blows a tri tip out of the water in my opinion due to the fat cap on it. I've seen them at two HEB stores near me.

Comment

I have one in the fridge for this weekend. Not sure on how gonna cook it yet but it will definitely get eaten. My normal HEB hasn't had them in months and just happened to go to another one a little farther away last weekend and they had a couple.

Comment

Any of you still on the tri tip wagon. I pulled one out of the freezer today. I'll one of the days coming up. Probably Friday.
                                I am! I found them at the HEB in Kerrville and put them on the smoker just as if it was a brisket. Muy bueno!

But, I'm gonna have to try the Picanha next.

Comment

Working...
                                X