Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Outdoor Kitchen Designs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
    The condensed version. We had a long discussion and I think I had him ready to quit. He felt all the issues were minor and I about lost it. I was pretty hard on him is what my better half told me. At that point I felt like letting him quit would be too easy on him. He said he didn’t think I would ever be satisfied with his work. I told him I wanted him to make it right and we move forward. So he agreed fix everything minus the cracked cedar pillar since it’s concreted in. We also came to an agreement on the fire place design that’s built right. So we shall see how things go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I've seen a lot of bad contractors and even if they do fix it to acceptable you will never be 100% happy with the work. So he is correct on that aspect. That is very shoddy. I highly recommend you cut him out and get a reputable contractor and make the first one take everything out.

You need to stay hard on him. That work is BS.

Comment

Matt, there's no way you should let him get by with not taking ALL the concrete out and re-pouring, thus allowing the split cedar post support (and a key load-bearing corner support) to be replaced. You're asking for trouble sir!

Comment

Matt, one thing I will say is on those cedar posts, how is he connecting them to the beams. Every outdoor kitchen I have built I used 8x8 posts and notched them. This allows a seat for the load bearing issue and bolted the beams to the posts to address the uplift issue. All I can see is him using metal ties of some sort to address uplift with the way he framed it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Matt, there's no way you should let him get by with not taking ALL the concrete out and re-pouring, thus allowing the split cedar post support (and a key load-bearing corner support) to be replaced. You're asking for trouble sir!

I wish I could. He would have left me high and dry. I would have to eat the demo and pay for the new build on top of the $14k I’ve paid him. I can’t spend 60k on 30k pavilion.

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
            Matt, one thing I will say is on those cedar posts, how is he connecting them to the beams. Every outdoor kitchen I have built I used 8x8 posts and notched them. This allows a seat for the load bearing issue and bolted the beams to the posts to address the uplift issue. All I can see is him using metal ties of some sort to address uplift with the way he framed it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

He’s going to anchor it with metal angle and lag screws. I got myself into a pickle.

Comment

Following

Comment

Well the framer came back yesterday and fixed the issues. Hopefully we are moving in the right direction

Comment

Originally posted by Stolle View Post
                  Well the framer came back yesterday and fixed the issues. Hopefully we are moving in the right direction

Great news!

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice

Comment

Be sure the fireplace chimney is higher than your roof line or it won't dfrsft properly

Comment

I would go with quartzite before quartz. More durable. Jmo

Comment

How did this ever turn out?

Comment

Working...
                          X