Brussels sprouts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    I'd prune the yellow/brown stuff and let 'em grow. Brussel sprouts are good and good for you.

My favorite way to cook them:

Slice sprouts in half lengthwise.
    Dice some bacon into small bits and fry it.
    When bacon is about done, leave bacon and grease in the skillet and dump in the sprouts.
    Cook them until browned on both sides in the bacon.
    Remove all the sprouts and bacon bits from the skillet and strain the grease.
    Place them on paper towels to soak up any excess grease, and then serve.

Delicious!
    This kind of recipe makes my point about never eating brussel sprouts. Substitute pea gravel, pig turds, etc. for 'sprouts' in that recipe and the result will taste good. Why eat something that you have to do so much to for it to be eaten???

Comment

Originally posted by BURTONboy View Post
      Yep! Add a half onion just for good measure as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Why do you want to ruin a perfectly good onion?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
        If they aren't in the way of your Spring garden, see what they will do.
        Brussels sprouts are delicious if cooked right.
        The problem is they are in the way. If they are likely to produce I might leave them. If it is a long shot I would rather pull them and put something else in.

Comment

Check sprouts that you say are yellow, could be outside leaves only, if so peel those leaves off and enjoy. My plants with older sprouts had bad leaves, peeled 'em off and the rest of the sprout was fine. If they are bad I would harvest what you can and remove the plants, they do not do well in heat and will attract white flies which will then hit the rest of your garden.

Comment

Originally posted by 98ag View Post
            The problem is they are in the way. If they are likely to produce I might leave them. If it is a long shot I would rather pull them and put something else in.
            I would pull them then.

Comment

Why have none of you fellow rednecks not mentioned halving them and throwing them into a crawfish boil pot??????? Mushrooms and brussel sprouts in a boil pot may have changed my life, but I'm not much of a picky eater.

My wife halves them, sprinkles with olive oil and montreal spicy steak seasoning, and bakes them in the oven. I will put a hurting on em that way too.

Ag, you might just get some more before it gets too terribly hot, but if they are in the way, make room for the okra.

OR, hurry up and till another spot.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                They were good for you until you added the bacon and grease.
                Use uncured nitrate-free bacon, and it's natural and keto as heck. Very good for you.

Comment

Originally posted by chaseh View Post
                  Why have none of you fellow rednecks not mentioned halving them and throwing them into a crawfish boil pot??????? Mushrooms and brussel sprouts in a boil pot may have changed my life, but I'm not much of a picky eater.

My wife halves them, sprinkles with olive oil and montreal spicy steak seasoning, and bakes them in the oven. I will put a hurting on em that way too.

Ag, you might just get some more before it gets too terribly hot, but if they are in the way, make room for the okra.

OR, hurry up and till another spot.

Try broccoli in there too

Comment

I used to hate these things as a kid. They're doing some pretty good stuff at restaurants with the brussel sprouts.

Comment

Love brussel sprouts. Never tried to grow them may try this fall. Love em grilled.

Comment

Originally posted by texan4ut View Post
                        Love brussel sprouts. Never tried to grow them may try this fall. Love em grilled.
                        They easy to grow ...Biggest issue is sandy land blowing gets in Those mini cabbage heads and they be GRITTY

Dampen with Olive oil and Grill are great

Comment

those haters against brussels sprouts have never had them cooked properly...

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                            I'd prune the yellow/brown stuff and let 'em grow. Brussel sprouts are good and good for you.

My favorite way to cook them:

Slice sprouts in half lengthwise.
                            Dice some bacon into small bits and fry it.
                            When bacon is about done, leave bacon and grease in the skillet and dump in the sprouts.
                            Cook them until browned on both sides in the bacon.
                            Remove all the sprouts and bacon bits from the skillet and strain the grease.
                            Place them on paper towels to soak up any excess grease, and then serve.

Delicious!
                            Drizzle a little bit of syrup over them and let it caramelize some.

Comment

Cut them in half, a little bacon grease/olive oil Cajun Blake Seasoning cover in a pan while you're grilling towards the end sprinkle REAL Parmesan cheese over them and serve up!

During a fish fry one time, I made fried Okra and though why not, fried up Brussels Sprouts with them as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommyh View Post
                                those haters against brussels sprouts have never had them cooked properly...

Love me some, asparagus too.........

Comment

Working...
                                X