• Show
Clear All

Up for general dimensions.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
      Up for general dimensions.

Thanks.

Ours are 4’x4’ on skids. Top of the 2x12 is right at 35”. 3 sheets of tin for the roof, but after I built them with tin I wish I had used R panel instead. I will say that now that our feeders are inside pens, I cut 2 sides of the 2x12’s down just to make it easier for the smaller deer to eat. They took them immediately. Can easily put 10-12 bags in each one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Both

I have some deer that won't touch the traditional protein feeder 10 ft away
        Attached Files

Comment

MuddyFuzzy 12x12 really wow. Thought I was going to have to go bigger. Thanks

Comment

Interested in this conversation. Had does but not one buck come to my timed feeder last year even though they were seen on the property. Got a gravity feeder to put out there. We’ll see how it does.

Comment

We used the all seasons timed protein feeders with great success in Leon county
              Inside a hog proofed food plots.
              We do have healthy number of deer

BP

PS. Coon cuffs are your friend.

Comment

Good stuff guys.

Anymore recs?

Comment

Protein feeders and spooky E. Texas deer

I’m going to be building feed pens and putting out Protien feeders in east Texas for the first time on a new lease here shortly. Hoping the deer on my lease are not as skid-dish as typical east Texas deer. It’s lower pressure than most places in east Texas. Only 7 hunters on 5,400 acres. We will see, I might have to do some of the techniques.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                  Last edited by RJK70; 04-09-2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

I put one of these in each of my feed pens as a test in Feb., and filled originally with a mix of corn and protein:

In both pen, most deer are avoiding them like the plague. There are a few that are eating what falls out, and one doe that will actually eat out of the tube.

Not sure if I plan to take the experiment any further yet. If I do, I am really looking hard at adding one of these to each existing pen:

The Banks Outdoors Feed Bank 300 gravity deer feeder stands out among other game feeders due to its single post design, which allows easy, unobstructed access to feed.

I am a little hesitant, as the squirrels have really chewed up one of those other feeders I am testing out.
                    Last edited by Greenheadless; 04-12-2021, 08:24 AM.

Comment

Been feeding the above setup as a test for a couple months now.

They are still very hesitant to use the free choice feeders.

Some will feed a little under the feeder after some feed has spilled out, but they wont feed from the feeder itself.

I do have one doe that has caught on, but only one deer so far.

I did have a LARGE boar that was jumping in one of my pens (only second time in years I have had this problem) that took to one of the feeders pretty well. To say he could feed out of the feeder tells you his size. He got lead poisoning this weekend though, so hopefully that ordeal is over with.

Comment

I used the hammer timed feeder for leon County due to hogs. Opens at daylight and closes at night. Helps keep the hogs off of it. Also helps train the bucks to come during daylight.

Comment

Biggest problem with trough feeders are coons

Comment

So far so good at my place. Deer are hitting protein tube feeders and I don’t even have feed pens in place yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I bought a gravity feed conversion from academy for $45 and a 55 metal drum for $20. Used the legs from the craappy plastic feeder that cracked after one year and put it in a 12 panel pen.

Have had more deer on camera at feeder than ever had with a spinner.

Only down side is they are going through 300lbs in a little more than a month. And corn has jumped up to $8.50 for 50lb bag.

J

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
                                Been feeding the above setup as a test for a couple months now.

They are still very hesitant to use the free choice feeders.

Some will feed a little under the feeder after some feed has spilled out, but they wont feed from the feeder itself.

I do have one doe that has caught on, but only one deer so far.

I did have a LARGE boar that was jumping in one of my pens (only second time in years I have had this problem) that took to one of the feeders pretty well. To say he could feed out of the feeder tells you his size. He got lead poisoning this weekend though, so hopefully that ordeal is over with.
                                Update.

Have deer that will now come in and will mainly feed out of the free choice feeders. Like any population, some will focus in on these and some won’t even pay attention it them. A couple bucks I have will specifically come to eat protein over the soybean mix I throw.

My #1 problem has been the flying squirrels chewing holes in them and the the protein molding.

Not sure what to do as I am also on the look out for a new place to hunt. Reviewed a couple 0lace the past couple years, just nothing that fits the bill yet.

Comment

Working...
                                X