Problem with a dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with a dog

I hate to think about this, but I am left with little choice. I have two dogs ("mother and daughter"). Black mouth cur/ Lacy cross that really need to be re-homed. They are aggressive towards other dogs, cant be trusted around other pets or live stock, and will "nip" little kids. They have never nipped my kids, actually a bit over protective of them. We have had the momma dog for 8 years and the daughter for 6. I have always been a stick it out kind of guy, but the little girl nipped another kid today for no reason other than she was new around the house.

Is there any rescue group that will take dogs known to nip? I have a hard time just dropping them off at a shelter to possibly be adopted by a family with kids and they would be shot quick in the country for chasing cows and killing chickens. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Originally posted by tradman View Post
    I hate to think about this, but I am left with little choice. I have two dogs ("mother and daughter"). Black mouth cur/ Lacy cross that really need to be re-homed. They are aggressive towards other dogs, cant be trusted around other pets or live stock, and will "nip" little kids. They have never nipped my kids, actually a bit over protective of them. We have had the momma dog for 8 years and the daughter for 6. I have always been a stick it out kind of guy, but the little girl nipped another kid today for no reason other than she was new around the house.

Is there any rescue group that will take dogs known to nip? I have a hard time just dropping them off at a shelter to possibly be adopted by a family with kids and they would be shot quick in the country for chasing cows and killing chickens. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Not what you want to hear but you know what to do with dogs that bite kids and kill livestock. Earhole them before you wind up in court.

Comment

I get it, and I am getting pretty close to that point.

Comment

Hog hunter will take em.

Comment

Originally posted by aggieman08 View Post
          Not what you want to hear but you know what to do with dogs that bite kids and kill livestock. Earhole them before you wind up in court.
          Why would you suggest such a thing? Plenty of people out there would love to have them and give them wonderful lives. Probably even let them chase the neighbors ponies when they aren't home.....

Comment

If a hog dogger wants them that's fine with me, but they are both fixed. That is a deal killer to some.

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
              Why would you suggest such a thing? Plenty of people out there would love to have them and give them wonderful lives. Probably even let them chase the neighbors ponies when they aren't home.....
              I’m not a big fan of horses either.

Comment

Because that's what a dog that will bite a kid needs.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

You're making the right choice to rehome them now before something worse happens, it's a tough choice but a non starter when it comes to the safety of kids.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

And not that I am trying to downplay the "bite" it isn't an aggressive attack, but a nip as the kid passes by. Never drew blood but definitely left a mark

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      Because that's what a dog that will bite a kid needs.

You must've missed the sarcasm in my post.....

Comment

Sorry. My helper threw one by me earlier I completely missed too. I'll have to get that checked.

Comment

You must've missed the sarcasm in my post.....
                          Needed a smiley face.

Comment

Dog crate, shocking collar and patience.

My old red heeler didnt like anybody not in the nucleus family. He would circle around and would nip peoples calves. We just crated him when guests were around. He didnt have an off button but I wanted him aggressive towards strangers for security reasons.

Being youre a hunter...stalk your dogs when loosed around livestock. Shock for bad behavior and lots of praise and treats for good behavior. Never ever ever use the dogs name when correcting bad behavior.

Its a chore to correct bad behavior. I recently had to relinquish a good dog I couldnt break of running away.

Good luck Tradman.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                              Hog hunter will take em.
                              At that age, hard to break bad habits.

Good luck Sir.

Comment

Working...
                              X