boot recommendations for western elk and turkey hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

boot recommendations for western elk and turkey hunts

a buddy and i are planning a turkey hunt up in the black hills (SD/WY) area in may and im also planning an archery elk hunt in south central or south eastern montana, if the permit draws work out. im looking for a good pair of boots for those rolling hills/mountainous elevations and mixed forests. i know i'll be putting on more miles than usual so comfort and durability is real important this time. i know Danner is a top choice. others?

I switch back and forth between Danner and Lowa for my Colorado Elk and muley hunts and bring both pairs of boots.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

I wear schnees beartooths for western hunting because they fit my feet good. Kennetrek, lowa, crispi, lathrop & sons all make good boots as well. These are all in a different league than danner. Not saying danners won’t work or they’re bad, they just aren’t going to be a great boot if the hunting you’re talking about doing is a regular every year trip for you.

Comment

Every foot is different. I have some nerve damage which makes me need extra ankle protection. I have wide forefoot, very high arch, very high instep. I need a wide boot. Danner "light II" was my go to boot for backpack hunting for years but have since changed to Zamberlan 4014 lynx. I find the 11 inch boot support me better than an 8 inch. Going down in price point I would look and Saloman, Further down still Merrell and if I can hunt in light hikers I would go Altra. Good luck and try and go somewhere to try on boots before purchase.

Comment

I live here in Wyoming and hunt here in all types of terrain.
          Kennetrek Mountain Extreme is what I recommend. They will give you great support which is what you want up here in this terrain.

Comment

Any of the big name boot manufacture will do you good, but the real game changer is getting custom orthotics.

Comment

good info

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                I live here in Wyoming and hunt here in all types of terrain.
                Kennetrek Mountain Extreme is what I recommend. They will give you great support which is what you want up here in this terrain.

^^^^^This---hunted mountains for 50 years, best I have ever worn.

Comment

I turkey hunt Wyoming and South Dakota black hills and use salomon X ultra 3 mid gtx and crispi crossover pro light. Love both.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

My #1 is the Salewa Mountain Lite Trainers after those I'd look at Lowa Renegade or the Saloman Quest 4D. Some of the ones listed above are great boots if you have 2 years of wearing them everyday to break them in good enough to wear in the mountains without getting blisters. Salewa has a blister free guarantee.

Comment

I like my Salomon X Ultra 3 mids but the Salomon Quest 4ds have a much stiffer sole which won’t burn out your calves as quickly if hiking a lot of steep terrain.

Comment

Salewa

Comment

Cody Lindeen would hunt barefoot!

Comment

I used to walk through a pair of danner pronghorns in 6 months.

I got a pair of crispi valdrez December of 2019 and they show very little wear today. I wear them daily.

Comment

I've put a couple of hundred miles hiking on my last Danners between a bear hunt and 4-5 pheasant outings.

They have held up well even though Western Montana was not kind to them lol

Comment

Working...
                              X