No announcement yet.

boot recommendations for western elk and turkey hunts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im in the mountains just about every weekend... i don't go without my Oboz.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
      I live here in Wyoming and hunt here in all types of terrain.
      Kennetrek Mountain Extreme is what I recommend. They will give you great support which is what you want up here in this terrain.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      I will look them up. I'm going in September. Do y'all wear insulated or non-insulated? Will these be too hot or cumbersome for early season?
      Last edited by Jmh05; 04-02-2021, 02:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jmh05 View Post
        I will look them up. I'm going in September. Do y'all wear insulated or non-insulated? Will these be too hot or cumbersome for early season?
        Mine are insulated because I wear them a lot during the winter but they have them in non-insulated and early season you would not need an insulated pair. I have friends that wear the non-insulated during winter as well with just a heavier Smartwool type sock.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
          I like my Salomon X Ultra 3 mids but the Salomon Quest 4ds have a much stiffer sole which won’t burn out your calves as quickly if hiking a lot of steep terrain.
          I've tried quite a few brands and boots but so far the Salomon Quest 4D keeps coming back, been trying to "upgrade" from it for a while now and so far it keeps winning. I do like the Zamberlain boots I have as a 2nd but they're definitely 2nd. I've not tried the Kennetrek Mountain Extreme yet, that's next on my list when I'm ready to try another set. For me I go uninsulated because my feet sweat like crazy, anything insulated it doesn't matter how cold it is outside my feet will sweat and freeze.

Comment

Very limited use but I just bought some La Sportiva boots from REI. They fit me the best of what they had in my size.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Lowa Renegade has been great for me. Go a half size up from your true size

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
                Very limited use but I just bought some La Sportiva boots from REI. They fit me the best of what they had in my size.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
                I picked up the La Sportiva Nucleo High II GTX this past week. I was intending to replace my Lowa's with another pair of Lowa's until I tried the Nucleo's on. So freaking comfortable right out of the box. Reviews seem pretty good on them.

Comment

I am a believer in a great sole. I love my crispi boots!

Comment

Went to try boots on today. Nothing much in stock anywhere. Guess I’ll have to just order and try them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamesl View Post
                      I picked up the La Sportiva Nucleo High II GTX this past week. I was intending to replace my Lowa's with another pair of Lowa's until I tried the Nucleo's on. So freaking comfortable right out of the box. Reviews seem pretty good on them.
                      X2 love mine

Comment

Salomon Quest 4D. Extremely comfortable boots with plenty of support and they don’t take 6 months to break in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You cant go off what works for other peoples feet. Also gotta know if you carrying a 100# pack in or just a day pack. I have a pair of Asolo for when packing in with my camp on my back. When im hunting i wear a pair of Solomon hiking trail shoes. Both I went and got fitted. Unless you width- arch etc are simular to mine I bet the exact same would not work out for you

Comment

Goto REI and try boots on.

Comment

Following

Comment

It really depends on foot size, and foot specifics.

I wouldn't put Danner in the Top 15 on build and material quality

If you have a very wide big forefoot, look at the Hanwag straight fit extra last(anchash) or zamberlan ZWL lasts. Both these companies are generous on space in their lasts.

If you have a narrow foot most alpine lasts by all the upper end mountain brands I'll fit well.

If you feel like you have a normal foot then it will come down to heel pocket fit, stiffness, and material preference... Hanwag, Zamberlan, lowa, Crispi, schnees/gronells, tend to have more options then say a kennetrek

No such thing as the Best boot.
                                Last edited by Texans42; 04-05-2021, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X