Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Fishing boat. Alum vs glass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Going to be in market soon for a fishing boat. Cant decide if i want alum or glass. 75% of use will be chasing crappie and catfish on local lakes and rivers. But, will take to coast whenever i can for reds/trout/etc in the bays and flats.. but would also like one sturdy enough to troll for kings out by the rigs..

budget would be around 10-12k.

ideas??

You sure have a big gap on your fishing and a very small budget to fill that gap. If you buy a boat to do all that for that budget good luck

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
      You sure have a big gap on your fishing and a very small budget to fill that gap. If you buy a boat to do all that for that budget good luck

If it helps, I'm definitely not going to be buying new. I was looking at a cc alumacraft in the 17-20ft range.. or a early 2000s shoalwater/transcat/ etc

Comment

I know people that love there aluminum boats. I've owned a few but I like my glass boat. I have as much money in accessories. Is what my boat is worth

Comment

There is no way I could go back to aluminum and continue to fish saltwater.

Unless I went to aluminum that was way out of your budget (not production hulls)
          And 20 foot minimum if I planned on jetty or rig fishing.

I'd suggest finding a 18 foot CC metal boat for fresh and hiring out salt stuff

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck finding a shoalwater or trans cat in that price range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Mayhem; 03-27-2021, 07:59 AM.

Comment

I’d go with aluminum for any situation I would find myself in personally. I’m not a saltwater fisherman so take that for what it’s worth. I run red and sulphur river and you never know when you may come upon a chunk of concrete, rebar or some other type of obstacle. Not that an aluminum boat can’t get torn up, but I feel as if it’s definitely more durable and easier to repair. I like my express

Comment

Express aluminum

Comment

I like my aluminum and do most of what you want to do but it’s on a different level than an Alumacraft or even Allweld and you likely can’t find a bare hull in your budget

Comment

Express or sea ark 20’ aluminum. It’ll do 99% of what you ask- all the time. The offshore part- you’ll have to limit. Pick and choose your outings during the dog days of summer.

Comment

In my experience, chasing crappie and catfish in stumps is tough on glass boats... I eventually gave up trying and just got me an aluminum boat... had a bunch of 'em over the years of both materials... for clean water, glass every time for every purpose... for water with common obsticles, aluminum and a hull that is all welded... no rivets...

You ain't likely gonna find a 20 foot boat in aluminum or glass that is truly suited for your described fishing desires for your budget... unless you're a pretty good boat mechanic... been there, done that... no thank you. But good luck!!

Comment

Working...
                      X