No announcement yet.

Poison ivy prevention

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m allergic to regular grass, makes me welt up...poison ivy does nothing which is weird.

Comment

Get it bad every other year or so, need to remember some of these ideas and try them next time.

Comment

Technu. Only thing I have success with.

Comment

Originally posted by 2Lazy2P View Post
          When I know that I’m going to be in it I carry rubbing alcohol with me to clean any exposed skin after I’m done working/hunting. This has helped me a lot.
          I started this method a couple years ago and I haven't had anymore issues.

Comment

I keep alcohol wipes in the truck for scrubbing my arms and face.

Comment

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
              I carry a bar of "poison ivy soap" in the truck all the time and wash all bare skin thoroughly when I get back to the truck. Really any good oil removing soap will work. It takes a little while for the urushiol to cause a skin reaction so if you get it off quick enough you'll be fine.
              This. I got it for the first time ever last year, and it was because like a jackwagon, I didn't wash my ankles within 8 hours of being in contact.

OP, it looks like a gimmick to me.

Comment

Originally posted by bobby314 View Post
                Technu. Only thing I have success with.
                Ditto...And, I am very allergic to the demon leaves and tried a whole lot of everything...

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                  Gojo hand cleaner works very well. Palmolive and dawn work good also. Lots of soap and hot water.
                  Never thought about GoJo and its gota a big plus..Use it and wipe up with a Few Towels no water needed..

Comment

Exposed about every day. Cruising timber and throwing a dia. tape. It has become second nature to be aware. Anything I put on before going out will just get washed up from sweat. Technu works for me when it pops up.

Comment

Grandma's and long sleeves and long pants.
                      Attached Files

Comment

This stuff works well for me. I rub any skin that might end up exposed with the pre-contact and then wipe post contact. Anytime I'm working in the woods, I use it, as many of the trees on my property had ivy on them and the oils stay active for a very long time even though the plant itself has been removed. These work on ivy, oak, sumac, etc.

Ivy X pre-contact wipes https://coretexproducts.com/ivyx_b/
                        Ivy X post-contact wipes https://coretexproducts.com/ivyx_c/

Comment

Leaves of three let them be.

If it grows off a vine and is leaves of three run the other direction.

I always wear long sleeves and carry water. If I get hit I poor water on it for awhile and wipe away with cloth that wont touch the rest of my body. Im still young so I dont break out as bad but someone older like my dad will have a rash 100 times worse than mine.

Comment

Ivy

Oak N Ivy or Ivy Dry and your problem is over. I catch that stuff just looking at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rotney View Post
                              It’s that time of the year. Always see threads about getting covered in poison ivy. Anyone tried this?

https://www.outdoorjoes.com/poison-i...-oral-solution
                              Snake oil

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Cant find the video, but a guy had an oil dyed with the same viscosity as urushiol oil and sprayed himself with it. Showed how tough it actually is to get off, but like others mentioned above, any oil soap works. I just keep a bottle of dawn dish soap or degreasing wipes. Think of urushiol oil being a clear motor oil you gotta work to get it off, and that's why when I get it these days I get it worse around my knuckles than anything.

Comment

Working...
                                X