X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
    Used to be some between Winnie & High Island

No Brent, those wuz geese!! Greater's!

Ain't none of them left here no more neither!!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      No Brent, those wuz geese!! Greater's!

Ain't none of them left here no more neither!!

They were Emu, I saw 4 of them piled in the back is a Polaris 6 wheeler. Seems if you shoot one you best be ready to defend yourself from the rest of them!

Comment

I raised them back in the day along with ostriches. The ostriches were dangerous, not the emus. I did make a lot of money and disappointed when the market collapsed.

Comment

Last one I know of got a pretty good gig at liberty mutual.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokeater View Post
            Last one I know of got a pretty good gig at liberty mutual.

Now I don't care who you are, that right there is funny!!

Comment

Originally posted by talltexasshoote View Post
              We jumped one up years back near Tulia in a milo field hunting pheasants. The dog actually pointed it hiding in a ditch. I am sure that dog still is confused by what happened. All of us stood there looking at each other as it ran away. I wish we had shot it. I cooked a lot of emu meat at Tech in foods lab. The breast was good fried or grilled.
              By god....it took about 22 years....but I found another man who has seen a bird dog point an emu! I wasn't sure that one would happen...

Comment

Originally posted by gander View Post
                Spoke with my cousin and he said the ranch was called Perdido Creek Ranch, so looks like we might be talking about two different places. This was about 20 years ago.

It's dang close then because the Perdido runs into the Pinto which runs through the Corazon ranch. Mine was killed in 2007 I believe.

Comment

My cousins up in northern Fannin Co. had some running loose along the river bottoms. They liked them because they were grasshopper eating machines. One of them took a liking to my cousin and would follow him all over when he was out checking cows.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    By god....it took about 22 years....but I found another man who has seen a bird dog point an emu! I wasn't sure that one would happen...
                    Lucky it was one of the dumber dogs. I’m not sure a good pointer ever gets over that.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      It's dang close then because the Perdido runs into the Pinto which runs through the Corazon ranch. Mine was killed in 2007 I believe.
                      Mine was back somewhere in between 2000-2002 if I remember correctly. There were alot of members on the lease from the Beaumont area at that time, but not all of them were from that area.

Comment

when I was around 15. We hunter off Dolan Creek Road in Del Rio. Montey Barnes Ranch.
                        Way down by what is now the Devils River State Park. I was driving in one morning from hunting and stopped at a gate. I heard the "drumming" from the devil. I grabbed my rifle and kept looking around for what was about to eat me. About that time from the other side of the gate walked up an Emu. I knew what it was but had never seen one out there.
                        I drove off a left it. Got back to camp and told the old men what I saw.
                        I was accused of sipping the bottle while out "hunting"
                        That afternoon one of the old men went out.
                        Stopped at the same gate but on the other side and the Emu came up to him.
                        Old man emptied his gun trying to hit that bird as it ran off. Never cut a feather.
                        Lots of jokes came from that day.
                        I can only assume something ate it or it died because it was seen for a few months there and then was gone.

Still laugh when I think of that old man back at camp telling the story of how big bird snuck up on him and tried to kiss him... He said attack but we all now how sweet big bird is so we can only assume it was to welcome him to the neighborhood.

Comment

Working...
                        X