Loading a boat in a crosswind.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
    You might have your trailer too deep as has been mentioned on other posts. Additionally approach with the bow into the wind (it will be like your approaching at an angle).

Practice, practice, practice...Practice approaching jugs in strong crosswinds out in the middle of the lake so you dont ding your boat up. It takes a lot off practice to get a feel for how much the wind catches your bow. Additionally practice controlling your bow by placing the boat in reverse and counter steering.
    Oh, I ain't got it to deep. If it sat any higher, it couldn't get loaded. I've been trailer-n different boats for many years. And just like you said always approach jugs, trotelines, and anything to dock to, or trailer from the down wind side. This ain't my first or biggest boat. Just the one I have at the present. I had even built my 1st and went and got it titled and registered with TPW back in the early 1980s.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Like everyone else said, don't back in too far. Just the right amount of power is key. It's gonna take practice. Was out in my tin can this weekend, with a longtail and no reverse. You get one shot haha. I'm still new to boating myself, and try to stay out of the way, but I just ignore the impatient professionals.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
        Ktex- take your time. As said trailer also too deep. And the guys saying stuff about being slow are the ones most of us would rather not be on the water with us. Those are the same guys that burn shorelines and will cut off a wade. Driving boats for a living I will tell you speed and throttle in small spaces usually get people hurt and property damaged
        Are you the guy driving one mile per hour under the speed limit in the fast lane?[emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope but im not the guy burning the flats or blowing past Froggies at 60 mph to get to the surf throwing a wake to all people loading and getting bait. When its time to get off the water it doesnt bother me if it takes 5 minutes or an hour. I usually just sit on the leaning post and enjoy a beer and enjoy watching the pelicans clean scraps at the cleaning tables. I enjoy the water and always have - dont have to take stringer pics to show off - and dont run over about 25 moh kn the water even though my boat is perfectly capable

Comment

I pulled my pontoon out last week on an extremely windy day and instantly regretted it. Normally I have no issue loading and unloading alone but just getting the boat tied up to the dock so I could go back my trailer down was incredibly difficult in 30mph wind and 3 foot chop. Got through it with no damage but I won't be going through that stress again.

Putting that boat in a slip with lift straps ain't a cakewalk either in high wind. I have about 6" clearance on each side.

Comment

I go into panic attack mode every single time its time for me to trailer my boat.
              Ive never been good at it. I am that guy. I know I am that guy. And sometimes I will idle off in the distance until I see there is no one at the ramp before attempting.

Comment

Saw this the other day

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvt9HCYiN8s"]Boat Loader - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
                  I pulled my pontoon out last week on an extremely windy day and instantly regretted it. Normally I have no issue loading and unloading alone but just getting the boat tied up to the dock so I could go back my trailer down was incredibly difficult in 30mph wind and 3 foot chop. Got through it with no damage but I won't be going through that stress again.

Putting that boat in a slip with lift straps ain't a cakewalk either in high wind. I have about 6" clearance on each side.
                  Pontoons are the WORST in wind, I got dang good at loading that thing after some cursing and stressing lol.

Great advice given so far, OP. You are on the right track and sound like the type of person I want to be in the water with. Enjoy the water this year and be safe!

Comment

In case it wasn't mentioned, use your parking brake. Bad things have happened to tow vehicles that didn't set the brake on a slippery algae covered ramp when the boat driver powered back in reverse.

Comment

Lot of good advice on here some not so much. the first boat I learned to load was an air boat. You learn very quick that it has to be done under power, not fast but under power, no power means no control. Second dont back the trailer in to deep, you want the bow to stick quick, you can control the stern with power but you have to stick the bow first, third approach from the down wind side so the wind doesnt blow you past where you need to be. Practice, and practice. Every boat, every trailer, every ramp and every day are different. Everyone one here was a newby at one point.

Most of get angry at the people that wait until they are in the dock to load all their supplies, put the plug in, and just screw around in general.

Most of us dont have a problem with people trying to load their boat, as it is the one thing that you cant practice before hand some where else, this is trial by fire so to speak.

Good Luck it takes practice, just like when you just about have it lined up and the wake from some ahole hits you and washs you off.

Comment

One thing that I haven't seen mentioned is anticipating the turn of the bow. Boats don't turn as quickly at slower speeds like those encountered when loading a boat. Once the bow starts it's turn you have to be ready to turn it back the other direction. If you wait until the bow is completely turned and try to go back the other direction it's too late.

>E

Comment

I’ve always gone past the ramp down wind and come in bow to the wind. I leave my fenders sticking out a couple inches. Once I get the bow in usually at a 45 degree angle I turn into the trailer straight as I throttle on to it. Works good in fast currents too. Don’t have to come in fast just enough speed to steer.

Comment

Working...
                          X