Bowhunt: Zambia's Luangwa Valley

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Landrover View Post
    Yes, I got hit b4 in the Rift Valley of Kenya [emoji1139] when I lived there as a student. Ugly litte sap suckers but I did not realize all the crazy vectors that can come occur from them.[emoji102] And, DEET don't bother them.....lol.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
    We had an African bug spray called DOOM that would kill them but I don't think I'd want to spray it on my skin. Those flies are attracted by movement
    When I was in the Rift Valley it was to dry for the flies until you got around water or a green patch of brush/trees.
    You can protect yourself somewhat by wearing long pants, long sleeve shirt, bandana around your neck, socks which happen to be all things I don't like to wear. So I got bit a lot

Comment

This will be one heck of a trip to follow along.

Comment

Originally posted by az2tx View Post
        We had an African bug spray called DOOM that would kill them but I don't think I'd want to spray it on my skin. Those flies are attracted by movement

When I was in the Rift Valley it was to dry for the flies until you got around water or a green patch of brush/trees.

You can protect yourself somewhat by wearing long pants, long sleeve shirt, bandana around your neck, socks which happen to be all things I don't like to wear. So I got bit a lot
        Perithim (sp) on all clothing also. I will buy a gallon and treat all my stuff 3 times b4 leaving my house. That stuff works great for ticks, chiggers, mosquitoes in our summer nilgai & hog hunts. Report claims it helps with those sap suckers also.[emoji6]

Comment

Just sent a hefty deposit, passport phota and DL photo to my outfitter in Zambia. Also, spoke with "Travel with Guns" to let Patrick know I may leave here a week earlier but to hold off until Monday before I book the flight to Lukasa. Just had some new 240 grain grizzly stiks built-out with serious FOC. I am going to stick with my single bevel 200 grain Maasai broadheads, absolute killa's.
          Oh, also sent my 1st hefty deposit to "Denali Hunts" in Alaska as it is time to get a BIG BROWN BEAR on the ground!!! Thanks to Tim (DropDaBomb) for introducing me to Stan who owns that outfit. 3rd time gotta be the charm......lol. Watching the calendar is gonna be rough!!!!

Comment

Just sent a hefty deposit, passport phota and DL photo to my outfitter in Zambia. Also, spoke with "Travel with Guns" to let Patrick know I may leave here a week earlier but to hold off until Monday before I book the flight to Lukasa. Just had some new 240 grain grizzly stiks built-out with serious FOC. I am going to stick with my single bevel 200 grain Maasai broadheads, absolute killa's.
            Oh, also sent my 1st hefty deposit to "Denali Hunts" in Alaska as it is time to get a BIG BROWN BEAR on the ground!!! Thanks to Tim (DropDaBomb) for introducing me to Stan who owns that outfit. 3rd time gotta be the charm......lol. Watching the calendar is gonna be rough!!!!
            We did a caribou hunt with Stan back in 2012......it was kind of thrown together last minute and we were unsuccessful but it was a memorable hunt. I don't know where he runs his grizzly hunts but Stan flew us in out to our camp. He was a very nice guy. We flew from Fairbanks to Ambler and then Ambler to our camp on a nice lake.

Good luck in Africa, will be following along!

Comment

Sounds like an adventure when does the book of your life come out

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thebomb6_99 View Post
                Sounds like an adventure when does the book of your life come out

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk
                Lmaooo............I write it on TBH everytime I go on a trip. How is life in Wasilla, AK going? The new house is beautiful, even with 10 feet of snow around it......lol!

Comment

Originally posted by TildenHunter View Post
                  We did a caribou hunt with Stan back in 2012......it was kind of thrown together last minute and we were unsuccessful but it was a memorable hunt. I don't know where he runs his grizzly hunts but Stan flew us in out to our camp. He was a very nice guy. We flew from Fairbanks to Ambler and then Ambler to our camp on a nice lake.

Good luck in Africa, will be following along!
                  I know that empty hand feeling oh so well in Alaska! Went last year for Dall sheep......nada! Went 3 times in 2019 for Inland Grizzly......nada, but got my moose. Went 1 time in 2018 for moose, nada! I cant remember the other failures, But when you have fun and GOOD guides it is all a wash in the end.

Comment

Yes, I got hit b4 in the Rift Valley of Kenya [emoji1139] when I lived there as a student. Ugly litte sap suckers but I did not realize all the crazy vectors that can come occur from them.[emoji102] And, DEET don't bother them.....lol.

Avon Skin So Soft worked against them for me. I had to apply it 3-4 times per day, but it worked for me.

Comment

Originally posted by STGS View Post
                      Avon Skin So Soft worked against them for me. I had to apply it 3-4 times per day, but it worked for me.
                      We grew up using that in south louisiana when in the swamps hunting or fishing! Great stuff!! How heavy was your leopard? Where you get him? Bow?

Comment

80 days to geaux!!!![emoji574][emoji1018][emoji457][emoji1018][emoji574]
                        Sorry, I am going stir crazy.......lol!!![emoji3061]
                        Click image for larger version

Name:	20210401_142330.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	24648793Click image for larger version

Name:	20210401_142256.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	24648794

Comment

In for this! Gonna be good!

Comment

Looks like a great trip! My old man killed a bunch of big cats in that valley back in the mid 80s. He always said Lusaka Zambia and Bangui CAR were the 2 worst places in the world.

Comment

Anybody have insight into the various tools (besides a Satellite phone) for communication using my cell phone? In -reach, In-touch???[emoji848]
                              Originally posted by Charrison View Post
                              Looks like a great trip! My old man killed a bunch of big cats in that valley back in the mid 80s. He always said Lusaka Zambia and Bangui CAR were the 2 worst places in the world.
                              Lmaoooo...[emoji38]....I'm hearing pretty much the same thing, my kinda of adventure!!![emoji6]

Comment

Well, if Tom Miranda can do it, you can too. I bet if you hit him up on Faceplace he'd respond and tell you all you need to know.

Comment

Working...
                                X