Oleander + Bottlebrush

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
    What are some more freeze resistant plants to replace the bottlebrush?
    In your area yaupon,juniper,boxwood,waxmyrtle,sasanquas,most hollies burford Charissa needlepoint oakleaf,cleyera are a fed good evergreen cold hearty shrubs

Comment

I went to cut my oleanders down today and they were still green . Ended up just cutting them way back .

Comment

Any sign of bottlebrush coming back from the roots? Should we give them more time?

Comment

I haven’t cut mine all the way down yet. But when I really cut them back years ago they too almost six months to get going.

Comment

Everything here looked dead. Since then a lot of plants/shrubs/berry vines have come back pretty good. Don't know if things will flower or produce fruit this year or not. If they are still alive, I can wait till next year easier than cutting it all down and replanting.

Comment

Ive got two bottlebrush trees that the branches are still green and wet. The leaves are all dead, but they look like warmed over hell. Hoping i dont have to remove them.

Comment

Oleanders
                Cut em way down to about 1’ ft tall
                Bottlebrush are dead more than likely

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They’re all dead. Those bottlebrush have an extensive root system - that will be a challenge to remove.

Comment

I’m on the south side of Houston. I’ve pulled all of our Oleanders and Bottlebrushes out of the ground and they were dead to the roots. Our Jap Blueberry’s are not beginning to sprout new buds near the bottom. So I’m going to watch them for a bit. I have a pretty good feeling they are gong to make a come back.

Comment

Neil Sperry said to cut the oleander down to 6 inches and said they would come back.

Comment

I'm actually hoping my oleanders died. Been slowly digging them out and replacing them. they are too high maintenance for my liking. I hate cutting them back every year,

Comment

Took one of my smaller bottlebrushes out this weekend. Like TommyH said, good root system. Sorta all twisted up. Was a bear to get all the way out. Wife broke off a shovel handle. lol. I think the one in the backyard is just gonna have to be cut to the ground level. Tried to move it and its solid. Had to take our pitisporum out too.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
                            Neil Sperry said to cut the oleander down to 6 inches and said they would come back.
                            I heard that too, he said 6 weeks after the freeze you will know if you need to cut them back, its that time.

Comment

Cut down my bottlebrush as well..

Comment

Most bottlebrush around my neighborhood is being pulled out. I have one to block pool equipment, if it dont look better by next week it has to geaux. Oleanders across the street at my neighbor has about 20..........they look like heck frozen over!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X