Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Basic fly tying patterns for bass and panfish.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic fly tying patterns for bass and panfish.

I’ve fly fished pretty much since I was a kid. I’ve recently started trying my hand at fly tying. I’ve watched a ton of YouTube vids and even tied some of my own creations. Plenty of them end up looking like a feather got in a fight with a ball of thread. What’s a good beginners panfish pattern? I mainly fish the llano. Little perch and bass for the most part.

Clouser Minnow

Comment

Always had good luck with a foam spider, which is an easy tie. Small hoppers. Have caught plenty on clousers while bass fishing.

Comment

wooly booger?

Comment

I've had good success with a Muddler Minnow.

Comment

Not flies, but we use jigs tied from blue quail, pheasant, buck tail, fox tail, etc for crappie. My brother ties them all. I don't fly fish, but he does and ties his own flies. I'll ask tomorrow, but I would second the clouser

Comment

Woolly buggers and foam ants are my go to for small streams/rivers.

Comment

I bought a big assortment pack of craft foam and recently, everything to start tying clousers and hair based flys. I’ll have to look up the muddler.

Comment

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
                  Woolly buggers and foam ants are my go to for small streams/rivers.
                  My Woolie booger is a sad sight... lol. I need some practice tying them. I’m learning the simplest looking flies and be a lot tougher than they look to tie.

Comment

A white, bead headed wooly bugger will catch anything that swims in freshwater. I’ve tied so many I could probably do it blindfolded.

Remember, it doesn’t have to be pretty to catch a fish

Comment

Originally posted by Bryan2014 View Post
                      A white, bead headed wooly bugger will catch anything that swims in freshwater. I’ve tied so many I could probably do it blindfolded.

Remember, it doesn’t have to be pretty to catch a fish
                      Are you still using a lead wrap with the bead or just using the bead with no other weight added?

Comment

Bead eye clousers tied with bucktail and craft fur. No lead wrap. Just hair, hook and bead chain eyes. This allows the fly to have a slower more even sink rate.

Get some bunny strips and learn to tie bunny leaches. The movement and neutral bouyancy qualities of rabbit make them irresistable to predator fish. Add heavier lead eyes or a cone to the front and a couple lead wraps under the bunny fur. Killer patterns.

Comment

Originally posted by nushagak View Post
                          Bead eye clousers tied with bucktail and craft fur. No lead wrap. Just hair, hook and bead chain eyes. This allows the fly to have a slower more even sink rate.

Get some bunny strips and learn to tie bunny leaches. The movement and neutral bouyancy qualities of rabbit make them irresistable to predator fish. Add heavier lead eyes or a cone to the front and a couple lead wraps under the bunny fur. Killer patterns.
                          I hadn’t thought about using the bead chain for eyes. That’s a great idea

Comment

Lots of good information here, even though you may be just outside of the area covered:

Discover 40 routes on 13 streams, all within an hour of downtown Austin. The Local Angler: Fly Fishing Austin and Central Texas will be released by Imbrifex Books in July, 2019.

Comment

clousers, poppers, divers, I'm a big fan of bunny minnows and leaches they're super fast and easy to tie, craws, bait fish patters are pretty quick and easy too especially with congo hair or ep

bead chain is good if you want a slow sink, if you want it down quick use lead or dumbbell eyes

Comment

Working...
                              X