No announcement yet.

JFT Turkey Tour 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good luck to all this windy Sat am! May all the beards drag the ground and the spurs touch when they walk! Shoot straight!

Comment

Went out with a buddy to his spot on San Antonio river

We had 6 gobblers with hens roosted within 100 yards but they flew the other way

Bout 8:30 or so, a loner worked a little bit but wouldn’t come any closer than about 75 yards.

Comment

Most of us are just getting in. Super slow for everybody. Archery popup hunters and the runners and gunners. Quiet birds mostly and when they did gobble they didnt respond well. Hope this evening with warmer temps and less wind puts them in the mood.

Comment

Happy Easter!

Headin to church then spending the day with family

Comment

Little tough out this way. Next weeks warmer temps should set them off!

Comment

Our first season here in Iowa does not open until April 12th.

I just heard one gobble right across the river from our front porch. Right up on that ridge near the cedars at the center of this picture. Beautiful spring day today.

2021 Iowa Spring Turkey Hunting Seasons
              Combination Gun/Bow Licenses
              Youth Season (Residents Only) April 9-11
              Season 1 April 12-15
              Season 2 April 16-20
              Season 3 April 21-27
              Season 4 April 28-May 16
              Resident Archery-only Licenses: April 12 - May 16, 2021

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working out the details but may be heading to my buddy's 5k acre company lease this weekend. Its on the SA River and supposedly loaded with birds.

Forecast is calling for summer time temps but should be a good time regardless. Surely we can find a bird or 2 on that amount of land

Comment

Then PoPo and I will be leaving for New Mexico next Thursday. We're planning to stop by a ranch in Knox county on the way for a few days.

NM is supposed to be in a pretty decent drought so I'm not too sure on what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                    Our first season here in Iowa does not open until April 12th.

I just heard one gobble right across the river from our front porch. Right up on that ridge near the cedars at the center of this picture. Beautiful spring day today.

2021 Iowa Spring Turkey Hunting Seasons
                    Combination Gun/Bow Licenses
                    Youth Season (Residents Only) April 9-11
                    Season 1 April 12-15
                    Season 2 April 16-20
                    Season 3 April 21-27
                    Season 4 April 28-May 16
                    Resident Archery-only Licenses: April 12 - May 16, 2021

I’m headed up for season 3. I hope it’s a good one

Comment

Getting caught up. Lots of great birds, congrats to all! Headed to my place in central tx this weekend to hopefully put the smack down on a few.

Comment

Very excited for the Colorado opener this weekend. It will be a lot of driving for one bird and only 2 days of hunting, but it will be some new country to explore. Also, the heat seems to have found Texas already. I'm not ready for summer weather!

Comment

My brain has already headed west. I hope my body catches up soon.

Comment

Not sure what's going on with my place right now but it flat out sucked for 5 hunters... Nothing like years past.

Some gobbling but very very little response as compared to years past. Had one close call but couldn't get a close into my bow shooting window. Ran into a few situations where lone gobblers weren't interested in anything but walking and looking for food, seemingly. In my case, the bird acted like he was done or had his arse whipped enough he didn't want any more opportunities. Back at it next weekend I guess..

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                              Not sure what's going on with my place right now but it flat out sucked for 5 hunters... Nothing like years past.

Some gobbling but very very little response as compared to years past. Had one close call but couldn't get a close into my bow shooting window. Ran into a few situations where lone gobblers weren't interested in anything but walking and looking for food, seemingly. In my case, the bird acted like he was done or had his arse whipped enough he didn't want any more opportunities. Back at it next weekend I guess..
                              I am far from a turkey expert like some of the folks on this thread, but we are seeing much of the same thing. Gobbler’s just generally not interested in coming in.

Ours seem to be roosting right along with the hens and are ‘henned up’ within minutes of flying down. Maybe this is normal, but it seems as if each gobbler will have 2-3 hens, sometimes more, with him. Even later in the afternoon (4-5pm) the gobblers are still stuck to those hens. The jakes are still running in groups for the most part, saw several groups of 4-7, and they seem to not even want to look in the direction of the decoys/calling. They’ll just feed on through.

I’m definitely open to any pointers y’all have.

Comment

Originally posted by jaspermac View Post
                                I’m headed up for season 3. I hope it’s a good one
                                It should be good. What area (near what town) are you hunting?

Comment

Working...
                                X