No announcement yet.

JFT Turkey Tour 2021

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling in hens is the name of the game when it comes to early season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Got the kids to bed, Mixed me up a little Zima, and I’ll try to get this past weekend’s recaps done

Comment

PoPo’s Opening Morning

After Kayden and Logan’s success, PoPo and I were still riding the high. Friday evening was unusually laid back and didn’t involve as many cold beers as years past. I think we were both snoring before 10:00

The blind was set and all we needed to do was slip in, set the decoys, and wait for daylight. We knew the birds (lots of gobblers and hens) would pitch into the field and we were ready to deal with the flocked up birds. The decoy set would consist of the jake strutter, breeder hen, and a pair of feeders.

I think we were set and ready by about 6:30. The birds gobbled quite a bit from about 6:15-6:45 but were unusually quiet that last 30 minutes before flydown. Like clockwork, the birds began to pitch into the field around 6:25. I think there were about 8 longbeards and a dozen hens. They showed zero interest in our setup and worked their way up the hill….opposite the direction they took on Friday morning.

As we were watching the flock on the hill, 2 gobblers popped out of the brush to the north. They were fired up and eager to join the rest of the flock but the only problem was the brand new net wire fence my uncle had installed. These birds could not figure out how to cross it. They must have worked up and down that fence line 50 times. About 8:30 the flock disappeared over the hill and left the other 2 stranded on the other side of the fence.

At this time, the 2 birds were about 300 yards away from us and on the opposite side of the fence. I joked to PoPo that they are going to head our way but it won’t matter because they can’t/won’t cross. Sure enough….after a few yelps, they were running down the fence line in our direction.

We had our blind facing the NE and our back was about 10 yards from the fence line. These 2 gobblers came all the way in and stopped directly behind us. It was pretty neat for Kayden to hear all the different sounds they make. The mood was pretty light in the blind and she even tried her hand with spitting and drumming. About 45 minutes went by, the turkeys haven’t moved, and I knew Kayden wouldn’t last much longer. I peeked out the back of the blind and one gobbler was strutting and the other was standing on one foot with his eyes closed!

It was clear that these birds weren’t going anywhere anytime soon. With them so close and our cutting up in the blind, they were awfully tolerant of our presence. By now, I had the back of the blind opened up so we could all see them. I asked PoPo if he could make the shot through the fence….he laughed and said “of course”.

With the birds 10 yards away, I slid the back panel of blind open enough for PoPo to get a good aim. The strutter was looking right at us and PoPo drilled him in the neck through the 4x4 wire fence! He needed to make a perfect shot and he delivered. The gobbler hopped off a few steps and fell over. His partner just stood there no knowing what happened. It wasn’t until I threw Kayden through the front of the blind that he slowly walked off.

PoPo was awfully quiet after this one. He didn’t say much but I could tell that this was a special bird for him. The night before, he tried to convince Kayden to shoot but she kept telling him “No, PoPo. I’ve never seen anyone shoot with an arrow. I want you to shoot.” quietest I’ve ever seen him after a successful hunt. For him to be in the blind on youth weekend and now Kayden was there with him on opening morning.

And…..Kayden found another ladybug. She wouldn’t tell me what she wished for….i can’t even imagine.

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
          Rained out?
          Yes, wish I had time to hunt this evening, would've been perfect!

Comment

Charging down the fence line towards us

Kayden and her ladybug

24 (or so) springs of turkey hunting with this PoPo. I love it!

Comment

Think I’m gonna get to take a kid this weekend in NTX for the youth season......dear lord I hope so....I’m chomping at the bit to hit the woods! Congrats to everyone so far...you too Jmalin....aka “Two Highways” Sasquatch Hunter....Jake killer.....or whatever your present handle is��

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                Think I’m gonna get to take a kid this weekend in NTX for the youth season......dear lord I hope so....I’m chomping at the bit to hit the woods! Congrats to everyone so far...you too Jmalin....aka “Two Highways” Sasquatch Hunter....Jake killer.....or whatever your present handle is��

Jake slayer was last years mistakes. He YouTubed his way out of that entitlement.....[emoji1787]

Comment

Charging down the fence line towards us

Kayden and her ladybug

24 (or so) springs of turkey hunting with this PoPo. I love it!
                  Congrats again!

Does it count as hunting over corn, even if it’s 4” tall?

Comment

Originally posted by MASTERS View Post
                    Congrats again!

Does it count as hunting over corn, even if it’s 4” tall?
                    Hunting over corn and killed them in transition to somewhere

Comment

Awesome write up, Clay. Congrats to PoPo on his special bird too. Y'all have been on fire this year and the season is still young!

Comment

PoPo’s Opening Morning

After Kayden and Logan’s success, PoPo and I were still riding the high. Friday evening was unusually laid back and didn’t involve as many cold beers as years past. I think we were both snoring before 10:00

The blind was set and all we needed to do was slip in, set the decoys, and wait for daylight. We knew the birds (lots of gobblers and hens) would pitch into the field and we were ready to deal with the flocked up birds. The decoy set would consist of the jake strutter, breeder hen, and a pair of feeders.

I think we were set and ready by about 6:30. The birds gobbled quite a bit from about 6:15-6:45 but were unusually quiet that last 30 minutes before flydown. Like clockwork, the birds began to pitch into the field around 6:25. I think there were about 8 longbeards and a dozen hens. They showed zero interest in our setup and worked their way up the hill….opposite the direction they took on Friday morning.

As we were watching the flock on the hill, 2 gobblers popped out of the brush to the north. They were fired up and eager to join the rest of the flock but the only problem was the brand new net wire fence my uncle had installed. These birds could not figure out how to cross it. They must have worked up and down that fence line 50 times. About 8:30 the flock disappeared over the hill and left the other 2 stranded on the other side of the fence.

At this time, the 2 birds were about 300 yards away from us and on the opposite side of the fence. I joked to PoPo that they are going to head our way but it won’t matter because they can’t/won’t cross. Sure enough….after a few yelps, they were running down the fence line in our direction.

We had our blind facing the NE and our back was about 10 yards from the fence line. These 2 gobblers came all the way in and stopped directly behind us. It was pretty neat for Kayden to hear all the different sounds they make. The mood was pretty light in the blind and she even tried her hand with spitting and drumming. About 45 minutes went by, the turkeys haven’t moved, and I knew Kayden wouldn’t last much longer. I peeked out the back of the blind and one gobbler was strutting and the other was standing on one foot with his eyes closed!

It was clear that these birds weren’t going anywhere anytime soon. With them so close and our cutting up in the blind, they were awfully tolerant of our presence. By now, I had the back of the blind opened up so we could all see them. I asked PoPo if he could make the shot through the fence….he laughed and said “of course”.

With the birds 10 yards away, I slid the back panel of blind open enough for PoPo to get a good aim. The strutter was looking right at us and PoPo drilled him in the neck through the 4x4 wire fence! He needed to make a perfect shot and he delivered. The gobbler hopped off a few steps and fell over. His partner just stood there no knowing what happened. It wasn’t until I threw Kayden through the front of the blind that he slowly walked off.

PoPo was awfully quiet after this one. He didn’t say much but I could tell that this was a special bird for him. The night before, he tried to convince Kayden to shoot but she kept telling him “No, PoPo. I’ve never seen anyone shoot with an arrow. I want you to shoot.” quietest I’ve ever seen him after a successful hunt. For him to be in the blind on youth weekend and now Kayden was there with him on opening morning.

And…..Kayden found another ladybug. She wouldn’t tell me what she wished for….i can’t even imagine.

Good stuff right there!! Great write up and pics as usual. Hopefully Kayden gets all these unicorns she’s wishing for .[emoji23]

Comment

JFT Turkey Tour 2021

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                          The purist jmalin wouldn't approve such actions!

Jake slayer was last years mistakes. He YouTubed his way out of that entitlement.....[emoji1787]

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

I think he has a man crush on Dave Owens aka Pinhoti Project

Comment

Great write up Clay! Your crew has had a great start to the season

Comment

Originally posted by MooseontheLoose View Post
                                Great write up Clay! Your crew has had a great start to the season

It’s been awesome man!

Comment

Working...
                                X