Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone spotted any Purple Martin or Hummingbird scouts yet?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The PM activity is really starting to pick up most mornings and evenings here now. Sure a lot of fun listening and watching these birds with their distinct sounds.

They appear to like mariachi music and the construcciones of the casa here at Trinity Acres lately. 😜

Comment

1 hummingbird in North Texas the last couple of days.

Comment

I always put up martin house first week in February and usually have them start showing before mid February. This year ~3 showed up before freeze, but they froze. Others showed up later and all is well again.
        Why does everyone wait to March ? I am 75 miles from the coast as a crow flies

Comment

Bumping the thread to check in on everyone's PM activity. I couldn't be more pleased with the amount of birds we have had during the inaugural year as PM landlords here at Trinity Acres.
          All but 2 of my 10 room capacity between the house and gourds were occupied during the most recent nest check. I did have to eradicate 2 sparrow nests on 2 separate occasions.
          Most of the baby martins have already or are about to fledge and be gone.

Sure gonna miss seeing and hearing these guys when they leave. It's been a lot of fun and I'm hooked on being a landlord. I will probably add more gourds next year.
          Here is a short video I shot yesterday before they head south.

Comment

We had a good year. Still a few left, but most are gone.
            We have 72 rooms and I only saw 4 that weren’t being used.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2bv1SrN-r0"]Purple Martins - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post

Purple Martins - YouTube
              That’s good, I have 56 rooms and probably had 35 to 40 show up.
              The hummingbirds were slow I have 5 hanging around.

Comment

Originally posted by Lonewolf View Post
                How long have you had houses out?
                We have been here 3 years. Previous owners had houses, we added 2 more this year because those were full. They filled the new houses. That was 32 additional rooms.
                I bet next year, your houses will be full, or close to it.

Comment

Purple Martins - YouTube
                  Awesome on both accounts guys! 👍👍

Comment

How long have you had houses out?
                    We have been here 3 years. Previous owners had houses, we added 2 more this year because those were full. They filled the new houses. That was 32 additional rooms.
                    I bet next year, your houses will be full, or close to it.
                    I have had mine out for about 12 years. I need to add another house!

Comment

I have had mine out for about 12 years. I need to add another house!
                      Wow! Good luck. I hope you fill them up.
                      I never thought I would like watching birds, but I really get a kick out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                        Awesome on both accounts guys! 👍👍
                        Very impressive on the birds you have for the first year. I hope they keep coming in for you. They are awesome to watch!

Comment

Had hummingbirds at my in-laws in Wise county this week

Comment

Have 3 houses and most slots in all of them were occupied... probably had 20 pairs or so. Best time for me is when the little ones begin to emerge and take that first leap into the air and come crashing down... All the adult birds gang up around the juvenile on the ground and "encourage" them, even keep them fed until they can fly... They were around my back patio and pool off and on for about a week, but everyone is gone now. Last couple years, have left the houses out until early Winter. Had a few pairs return and raise a second clutch... Will see what happens this year...

My hummers were way down this year. I have a few that over-winter here that seem to have made it, but no real large groups... have multiple feeders front and back of house and this year seems a couple dominant birds keep any "crowds" from gathering. They come dive-bombing in and harass the visitors... Still fun to watch tho.

Comment

Working...
                            X