2021 Houston Astro’s Official thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by El General View Post
    Mr Upton's signing isn't going to hold them back from signing Correa. Correa wanting an 8-10 year contract is the sticking point. They have the money to sign him to a $30-35 milllion average annual value contract even with the Verlander signing.
    Yep two Correas would cost 65-70mm a year to JVs 25mm.

I heard Astros are in serious talks with Marte. I'll take that offensive swap for Correa.

Comment

I’m not sure why everyone is so concerned about pitching. McCullers wasn’t far out of the act Young talk from a statistical standpoint and it hurt losing him late in the year. Verlander is 40, sure…but going under the knife isn’t what it used to be either. He’s always been a workhorse and now he’s 40 with a brand new arm. Urquidy has shown signs of being as good or better than any #3 guy in the league. Garcia and Framber are both young guys who had very respectable years with some quality starts in the playoffs. Odorizzi is a solid piece to have to use as a spot starter or out of the bullpen. Pressly is always a gamer. Stanek showed some good stuff out of the pen this year. Marin looked extremely valuable in the post season to eat up some innings, and they inked Hector Neris in free agency, who at least is a credible reliever who’s spent some time on big league mounds. Greinke won 11 games, which is the same number of wins as Framber and Garcia each, but it was strictly off the help of the offense, because he had an ERA north of 4.00. I’m sure he can still help someone somewhere, but it was way more of a lick losing Kendall Graveman than Greinke…which was expected since he was just a hired gun at the trade deadline anyway….the pitching will be fine…hell, with Houston’s offense, half the guys on this forum could scratch a big league win on the bump here and there.

The offense is still potent with or without Correa. I mean I’d love for Crain to splurge a little and resign him, but Crain has never handed out any long term deals, and stays south of the luxury tax…if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. The lockout might help our odds of bringing him back to Houston, but I believe he’ll probably end up elsewhere and the Cubs make the most sense in my opinion…not to say he won’t end up in the Bronx, or Boston, since Bogarts is going into a contract year…the new fad seems to be combining guys like Seager and Semien or Turner and Seager last year in LA, or Lindor and Baez in New York…but regardless, Trevor Story is still on the open market and comes at a cheaper price…we also have a first round shortstop in Alex Bregman…slide him over, then let Yuli move over to third (which was his natural position originally), then you got first base open to move in an outfielder like Alvarez, who has been working out there in the recent past, and that just frees up room for guys like Chas McCormick and Jake Meyers to get some everyday time…let one of them get some regular PT in the outfield wit Tucker and Brantley & let the other DH…or platoon them in CF and let Aledmys Diaz DH…or heck, add a cheap veteran bat in free agency to DH or play 1B like Nelson Cruz, or Kyle Seager (although a guy like Kyle Schwarber would be AWESOME to have in Houston…I just believe he will be too expensive after his showing last season)….Houston will be fine…I think even without Correa, we have room for another deep run if we make an adjustment or two and don’t need to go nuts with the money on other free agents if we can’t resign him. He’s worth it, but I just don’t see breaking the bank if he walks in free agency. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd tear bar, but I believe we’ll be just fine if we can keep our guys healthy this next year. We still have plenty of depth.

…working nights had the Stros on my mind tonight with the long winded post…

Comment

Originally posted by Lungbuster13 View Post
        I’m not sure why everyone is so concerned about pitching. McCullers wasn’t far out of the act Young talk from a statistical standpoint and it hurt losing him late in the year. Verlander is 40, sure…but going under the knife isn’t what it used to be either. He’s always been a workhorse and now he’s 40 with a brand new arm. Urquidy has shown signs of being as good or better than any #3 guy in the league. Garcia and Framber are both young guys who had very respectable years with some quality starts in the playoffs. Odorizzi is a solid piece to have to use as a spot starter or out of the bullpen. Pressly is always a gamer. Stanek showed some good stuff out of the pen this year. Marin looked extremely valuable in the post season to eat up some innings, and they inked Hector Neris in free agency, who at least is a credible reliever who’s spent some time on big league mounds. Greinke won 11 games, which is the same number of wins as Framber and Garcia each, but it was strictly off the help of the offense, because he had an ERA north of 4.00. I’m sure he can still help someone somewhere, but it was way more of a lick losing Kendall Graveman than Greinke…which was expected since he was just a hired gun at the trade deadline anyway….the pitching will be fine…hell, with Houston’s offense, half the guys on this forum could scratch a big league win on the bump here and there.

The offense is still potent with or without Correa. I mean I’d love for Crain to splurge a little and resign him, but Crain has never handed out any long term deals, and stays south of the luxury tax…if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. The lockout might help our odds of bringing him back to Houston, but I believe he’ll probably end up elsewhere and the Cubs make the most sense in my opinion…not to say he won’t end up in the Bronx, or Boston, since Bogarts is going into a contract year…the new fad seems to be combining guys like Seager and Semien or Turner and Seager last year in LA, or Lindor and Baez in New York…but regardless, Trevor Story is still on the open market and comes at a cheaper price…we also have a first round shortstop in Alex Bregman…slide him over, then let Yuli move over to third (which was his natural position originally), then you got first base open to move in an outfielder like Alvarez, who has been working out there in the recent past, and that just frees up room for guys like Chas McCormick and Jake Meyers to get some everyday time…let one of them get some regular PT in the outfield wit Tucker and Brantley & let the other DH…or platoon them in CF and let Aledmys Diaz DH…or heck, add a cheap veteran bat in free agency to DH or play 1B like Nelson Cruz, or Kyle Seager (although a guy like Kyle Schwarber would be AWESOME to have in Houston…I just believe he will be too expensive after his showing last season)….Houston will be fine…I think even without Correa, we have room for another deep run if we make an adjustment or two and don’t need to go nuts with the money on other free agents if we can’t resign him. He’s worth it, but I just don’t see breaking the bank if he walks in free agency. Maybe a 2nd or 3rd tear bar, but I believe we’ll be just fine if we can keep our guys healthy this next year. We still have plenty of depth.

…working nights had the Stros on my mind tonight with the long winded post…

Always fun for me to think about and talk baseball. A couple things regarding your comments. I personally see the next couple of years as a legitimate window they have to win a World Series. Deep runs in the playoffs are nice but in the end it’s another unfulfilled season.

A team can never have enough pitching so signing more is always a good ting. I really like the staff as it is now but more can’t hurt because guys are going to get injured.

The shortstop vacancy will work itself out and I don’t think Crane and Click will go cheap at this point. They are going to do something that brings value to this club. you mentioned quite a few reasonable options. In the end, who knows but I do trust them to do something really good. If this lineup is healthy it will be number one again imo.

Can’t wait for this lockout to be over and real baseball stuff to be on the burner again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw where Bregman has been working out at ss and conveyed that he will be ready to play there if needed. I have a bad feeling that he wouldn’t say that if he didn’t KNOW Correa was gone. I would just as soon give Pena the nod unless he can’t cut it. Yuli is a gold glover at first and I would think the “old Cuban” is too old to be everyday third baseman, not to mention how great Bregman is there when healthy. We have 7 legit hitters in the lineup, don’t have to have 9

Comment

Working...
          X