No announcement yet.

Dog training.....opportunity?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry to hear about your partner and I wish you the best as you move on. I don't blame you at all for not wanting to go back on patrol for your last few years after working K-9 for that long.

Comment

Thanks to all of you for your posts, condolences, and suggestions. Specifics below for a few. Thanks for the PM suggestions, also.

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
      What kind of training? Have a walker treeing coon hound mix that has some annoying tendencies and I bet could use some training.
      Great talking to you Scott. Call me back with any additional questions. Would love to come help out if I can.

[quote=SaltwaterSlick;15503409]Man I wish you GREAT SUCCESS!! I'd love to have those kind of training skills! I've trained retrievers for many years and thoroughly enjoy it. I could see myself doing something like that professionally in my next (retired) life. Training LE dogs would be top of the line far as I'm concerned!! One thing I don't know if you have considered, but a corollary to training LE dogs could also be training dogs for personal protection. With your background and skill set along with your years of experience and probable contacts, I bet you could build a heck of a client base and business!!

Getting a little old for ground up training of protection/bite dogs. Can still do it, but can't imagine the day after "catching" dogs for several hours. Dope work, no problem- bite dogs in a bite suit for a couple hours a day- nah. I'll instruct if you put the suit on!!!

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
      There is company down this way that trains, odor and protection dogs. They work with our K9s guys often for extra work and rookie dogs/handlers
      Thanks, but a bit far. Have got a couple options up here.

Originally posted by Adam G.;1550"
      Wish you were in SA. Have a 7 month old lab who can use more training. Wish you the best of luck!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
      Feel free to PM me. We can sure talk and maybe I can give you some advice. Family in San Antonio, but probably won't get down there for the next few months.

Originally posted by Davexx1 View Post
      FlyBy

Sorry to hear of the loss of your K9 partner and that the department does not see the value in replacing her. Those dogs are amazing in their ability to help with the bad guys and also can save the life of a young child, officer, or other civilian. Good luck to you. Be sure to preserve your retirement.

Dave
      Thanks. My partner that just passed saved the life of a criminal that got shot during a dope deal. Bad guy had warrants and ran to avoid us. She found him a couple hours later unconscious from blood loss hiding in a wooded area.

Originally posted by DTala View Post
      sorry for the loss of your dog. They get to be family.

I'm on my fifth Malingator, had a jam up female as a working K-9 when I was a GW. Latest is a 14 month old male Malingator who is a full handful. He is very smart and super hardheaded. I turned 70 last month and am too old to fight or run so I am training current dog for protection work.

I could leave my truck unlocked with the windows down in downtown Dallas and NO ONE would bother it with Chief inside. He is VERY protective of whats is his and he has the title on the truck. LOL
      Two shepherds and one Mal here (retired Mal still here). Sorry you had to deal with five of those *******s!!!

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
      Sorry for your loss. I'd be happy to send my 9 month old cur mix to keep you company She's more than I can handle right now at 65lbs of extreme drive lap dog. We did 6 weeks of "clicker" training that didn't help at all. I'm putting 1 to 2 hours a day into her but there is nothing I can do to get her tired. She wakes up like she's on speed and it's that way til 10pm
      Xanax?

Comment

Working...
      X