Lake Texana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rvd View Post
    When I was a kid, a long time ago, we caught a lot of crappie up Sandy's creek and the lavaca north of the 59 bridge. I have not fished there in many years but know people that do still catch fish there, especially catfish on jug lines.
    The Lavaca does not flow into Lake Texana. The Navidad & Sandy’s are North of 59 & the mustang flows into the lake on the South/East side of Ganado.

The Crappie fishing is still good if you go up the Navidad or one of the creeks. There are also some good Crappie fishing just out from the Freeman’s boat ramp (outside of Ganado).
    Last edited by Das71198; 03-01-2021, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GARY View Post
      In general north of 59 bridge , or up the mustang is best bet. .
      Wow ain't much lake left above 59 bridge!
      Attached Files

Comment

What caused the lake to get all muddied up?

Comment

It's relatively shallow running north and south. It's drainage encompasses a lot of farm land which has deposited a lot of silt into the already shallow lake. A couple of large floods literally changed the landscape.

She was a great little fishing hole in her time but limited now.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Like has been said the lake floor has a pretty thick silt layer on the bottom. For a short time after hurricane Harvey the main lake tried to clear up for a short time as some of the silt layer washed through the dam. Unfortunately, it didn't last long. A guy who I have known since high school and is probably the best bass guy on the lake was keeping his boat right across from mine. We were talking at the shed about a month after Harvey and he made the comment that LNRA had been monitoring the depth at a certain point in the lake when it was at full pool. After things settled down and it lowered back to full pool there was like a 3.5-4 ft difference because of the silt that had washed away. As far as fishing goes what has been said about the tributaries is pretty much true in regards to crappie. I prefer Sandies and Mustang as the Navidad gets too clear for my liking. I will say that there are fish still to be caught in the main lake but you can't let the chocolate milk scare you off. Now, if GARY would hurry up and buy me a livescope we could get back to catching boatloads of slabs in the main lake like back in the glory days.

>E

Comment

Working...
            X