Axis Die Off from Cold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    Also sucks that axis are the only reason we're on this lease, and the payment is due this week.

We're hanging in.
    They will make a pretty quick comeback i would bet. We lost a few axis bb and barasingha out at our place.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
      They will make a pretty quick comeback i would bet. We lost a few axis bb and barasingha out at our place.
      Yeah, they're prolific breeders. And we needed to kill more than we've been killing the last couple years anyway. I'm just hoping that the old bucks weren't the first to die. They probably were though. May be slim pickins for trophies for a couple years.

Comment

Ours is really thick with cedar. Tons of cover. No livestock, so lots of underbrush. But we have a creek running through the middle. Found lots of dead axis down in the creek bottom where it's always colder. I don't know if they froze or died from dehydration with all the water froze up for a few days.

Not finding any dead whitetail, sika, fallow, hogs, or turkey. Just axis. Everything else is looking good on all the cameras. Still seeing axis on the cameras, but not near as many as before the cold. I'm hoping maybe one of the neighbors put out a bunch of alfalfa and attracted a bunch of the axis for a while. My buddy was there this weekend and found 20 dead within 50 yards of a cabin by the creek. Either a bunch more are dead up in the hills and brush, or they just haven't been back on camera yet.
        Sorry to hear this Shane. Hopefully they will bounce back quickly. Just crazy how some died in big numbers and some didn't.

Comment

Yeah, they're prolific breeders. And we needed to kill more than we've been killing the last couple years anyway. I'm just hoping that the old bucks weren't the first to die. They probably were though. May be slim pickins for trophies for a couple years.
          Our bucks were being super aggressive and driving the does off the feed , I have only found fawns dead
          This dude and some others are feed bully’s
          Attached Files
          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-23-2021, 03:04 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X