welder generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

welder generator?

I learned long ago to make the wife happy and have successfully done it for 38 years. I can see this "we need backup power" isn't going to go away.

NVE co op has been good up to the last 12 months or so. Power goes out a lot. The idea of having a dedicated genny just doesn't appeal to me and I'm looking at my options and one of those is a weld/gen for backup. anyone power their house with one? I used a Hobart last summer and it was darn quiet and that may be the way to go. I have a 1000 sqft awning within 20 feet of my power supply so I could park it there and run to some kind of switch gear.

As the 38 years of marriage would tell you I'm not young anymore. I've been welding a lot in the last year but that comes and goes as needed. Anyone else use a welder to back up?

Originally posted by Kossetx View Post
    I learned long ago to make the wife happy and have successfully done it for 38 years. I can see this "we need backup power" isn't going to go away.

NVE co op has been good up to the last 12 months or so. Power goes out a lot. The idea of having a dedicated genny just doesn't appeal to me and I'm looking at my options and one of those is a weld/gen for backup. anyone power their house with one? I used a Hobart last summer and it was darn quiet and that may be the way to go. I have a 1000 sqft awning within 20 feet of my power supply so I could park it there and run to some kind of switch gear.

As the 38 years of marriage would tell you I'm not young anymore. I've been welding a lot in the last year but that comes and goes as needed. Anyone else use a welder to back up?

I have a Miller Bobcat 225 that will run my house. I backfeed thru my crackerbox welder 50 amp plug. I also have a couple of Honda 2000 if I have to run it longer term. The welder was a tax deduction.

Comment

Following!

Comment

My miller 250 will, but its not very fuel efficient.

Comment

Ran my Bobcat 250 last week for 40 hours. Used 40 gallons of fuel. It kept us warm but not very fuel efficient.

Comment

Check with some of the rental companies. Some times you can pickup a good used Vantage that will run your entire house. and it will come on a lil trailer ready to go.

Comment

That's what makes the decision so hard. I've thought about the tractor pto driven generators. They're bigger and would still allow me to use my welder around the farm. I think the pto generator would be more efficient. Just a lot to think about.

Comment

We've used diesel welders in the past for generators. Our Miller's have around 10kW. I probably would've used one of our Vantage machines during this last storm, but someone decided they needed it more than us a few months ago. Ended up taking a light tower home and running off of it.

Comment

Working...
                X