Lost Buck - What Went Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rocky View Post
    A very good friend put this into perspective for me, being an anti- mechanical at the time. “Shot placement trumps everything”. I’ve shot and experimented with a lot of mechanical heads since then, but realize the downside. An expandable head requires more energy to open and penetrate, therefore, we need to know what kind of energy our bow produces. While Hannah’s arrow may have flown true, and her aim was spot on, the arrow didn’t impact where intended. Knowing arrow energy is a priority before assuming a different head would have produced better results.

Just to revisit this, I got some specs at B2B today:

Draw weight - 44#
    Total Arrow weight - 361.4
    Speed - 222 fps
    KE - 39.6 ft-lbs

Probably on the lighter side for JH’s, but we’re going to work to optimize her setup before next season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
      [mention]Michael [/mention] I just watched this on YouTube, and the only thing I can say is get her in a heavier arrow. I know it slows down your speeds, but it turned my bow into a silent fricking killer. So much energy has to go into moving the crazy heavy arrow i ha love built that there’s hardly any left for creating noise.

Aside from that..... those bucks have been hunted HARD at feeders. They know they are dangerous spots, and are on pins and needles. Maybe hunt further off of the feeders if possible. Hand corn or broadcast a road or two where they’re not used to being hunted.

Thanks Ike. Good suggestions!

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Working...
      X