Lost Buck - What Went Wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
    First off... great job on that video. You did everything right after the shot. All of us that have done this a long time understand that this happens and most of the time there is no explanation. Clearly the shot was a little back but definitely low liver. I would expect to recover that deer 100 percent with a dog.

Thanks for sharing. Again, I really like the video.

I’m glad you enjoyed the video. Thank you for the support!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

You hunt long enough its going to happen-unfortunately. Wonderful young lady you've got there Michael. I'm expecting many more successful hunts from her......and the video was outstanding as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
        To me the one thing that I feel has helped me to recover more deer is my target. I have an 18 and 1 one the ground right under my Glen Del 3D target of a buck. I have conditioned myself to shoot in that shoulder area. Like so many others I was gun shy of getting too close to the shoulder, but I lost a couple. So staying in that shoulder (deadly V) has helped me to kill them.

That said, sometimes you shoot a deer, feel good about the shot, but don't kill them. Other times you make a lousy shot and kill them deader than a hammer. The last few I've shot were pretty dead. I attribute a lot of that to the 3D deer and learning to force myself into the shoulder or near it.

But you know what? Sometimes I miss! Hannah, sometimes we miss. Next year that big 10 with the kickers. You watch!

Thanks for the encouraging words! I’m excited to see what next season has in store for us!

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
          Head down deer drop and move faster. I saw that on a video about deer reaction times and have tested and it *appears* to hold true. Shot was too far back, I think that was also a result of the deer having his head down creating an illusion that the shot was further forward than it was at the time of release. I think it was Smart on here that posted a video that pretty much everyone, including myself, thought he had heart shot the deer, but it was actually a liver hit. His video was a similar deer position, if i recall correctly

Because of those 2 videos and my real world experiences, i try to only shoot at head up, relaxed deer.

Excellent video and thanks for posting!

This is a great tip! Thanks for the feedback and support!

Comment

Originally posted by PassnItOn View Post
            You two have a had a dream father/daughter season, thanks for letting us come along. Hate it for Hannah, glad she talked to others. If you bow hunt - you've been there, a tough feeling to deal with. Chin up and you get to go do it again soon. We are all rooting for you!

PS - I would have lost money on that blood trail, looked like a sure thing.

Thanks for the support. We both love being in the blind and I love that I’m fortunate enough to have such an awesome guide! We are definitely ready for next season already

Comment

Originally posted by J-Bone View Post
              What a great video. Though not the final result either of you had planned, I think you did a very good job on illustrating what hunting is to your family. If you look at the glass half full, that's a video of an incredible time a father and daughter got to spend together. I was really pulling for Hannah this season. She put in more time in the field than most people. She's bound to run into some good luck sooner than later, and when that time comes, it will be a well earned success.

As far as what I'd do different? It's a whole lot easier to arm chair quarterback the shot from the climate controlled couch and no adrenaline running through the veins, than in the moment. I feel, in regards to most south texas bucks, adjusting your point of aim in anticipation of him reacting to the shot is kind of a 50/50 deal. I prefer not to do it most times. If she aimed dead center of the lungs, that would give her the highest margin of error. If he does duck and you hit too high and/or forward, it's probable the deer will survive. Too far low and back is certain death and a more difficult trail. Regardless, this is a part of hunting we all experience. All there is to do is reload and shoot another one.

Thank you for all the support this season! This season was very exciting for me and I found another joy in hunting. You are correct about all the adrenaline and nerves but the feedback is always nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                Although, not the outcome any of us wanted for her....this was one of your best pieces of film production. Hanna has been very impressive this year with her dedication to time spent practicing and sits waiting on "green light".

I simply can not wait until next season. I see that 10 "with kickers" ending up on your wall

"I want him more than a boyfriend!" Totally cracked me up!!!

You know my priorities lol[emoji2276] I’m ready for that buck to walk out next season more than you know! Thanks for all the love and support[emoji3590]

Comment

Originally posted by lanceodom View Post
                  No doubt a wonderful video and more importantly, amazing father daughter time! What a good duo! Keep them coming and tell her to keep after it!

Thank you for the kind words and support!

Comment

Originally posted by DBLHKUP View Post
                    Awesome video! Memories of a lifetime there and it’s all recorded! Very well done, regardless of the outcome, there’s lots of good here and Hanna will be back stronger then ever. Good stuff Michael!

Thanks for the support!

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                      I really like how you got right to the action. You hooked me with it. Now I HAD to see if she got the buck . Sorry, she did not. But I know of no bowhunter who is perfect. Hang in there Hanna, do not get bummed out. We have all been there. Great times with the family and the vids keep getting better Michael.

It was a very fun hunt despite the outcome. I was pretty sad for a while (still kinda am) but I am ready for next season already!

Comment

Originally posted by ByronB View Post
                        Kudos again to both of you on the video. Catching the raw emotion of the hunt is priceless, especially when videoing your kiddos.

Thank you for the support!

Comment

Originally posted by Tomkat70 View Post
                          Great work on the video!!!! Really enjoyed watching. Hopefully she gets redemption on that buck this next year.

That’s the plan! Thank you for the support!

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                            Man, that's a tough outcome. The blood makes me think she still got the liver, and he should be dead somewhere. Y'all did everything right. She may have missed her spot, but only by a couple inches! That's a good shot, given her point of aim. Tell her to keep her head up. It happens!

The only change I'd make is to have her aim a little further forward. Without a big mech cut, the deadly V is the best place to put an arrow.

Thank you for the feedback and support!

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
                              This is hands down one of the best videos I have seen. Well put together. Sure wish she could have retrieved him.

Thank you for the support[emoji4]

Comment

Originally posted by SharpEnd View Post
                                Michael that was a great video, lots of funny moments with Hannah's comments prior to the shot and the raw emotion after the shot was just fantastic. Certainly a tough outcome, but what a memorable experience for both of you as well as a great learning. She went from high emotion to learning to come to grips with one of the toughest things to deal with in bowhunting. You can't put a price on that, and as a father it was exemplary. It is easy to later say "wish I would have" with our kids, but you're doing it, in a fine way.

Thank you for the support... and if you can’t tell, I often forget about the cameras[emoji23]

Comment

Working...
                                X