No announcement yet.

Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're doing good with that hand position, but get that index finger and ring finger off the frets (put them just behind)! Keep at it and it will get better.

I started when I was 16/17 and my first song was House of The Rising Sun on my deceased dad's beat up Recording King. I gave it up for several years, then picked it up again, then dropped off to a stand still as time didn't allow for much. Our PD had a DARE band and I started trying to play the bass for those gigs. Afterwards, I gave that up for several years again. Since retiring, I've been playing acoustic guitar and bass for the last 4-5 years with others. I might add, this playing with others has improved my knowledge, timing, and playing skills as they play real old 3 chord country and another group plays hymns, country, rock. So, this has helped me in learning the guitar/bass. I'm no rock star but I enjoy playing rhythm guitar and the bass for REAL country and some classic rock.

Check and see if there are others you can join/learn from in your area. That is much more fun than online lessons. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
      I can’t find any lessons/ instructors within a 90 minute drive from where we retired. I love being in a rural area, but there’s a downside sometimes.

I’m working-thru the combination of left wrist pain and ‘muting’ issues- when a finger on a fret touches the adjacent, lower string.

Lot’s of YouTubes later ( and the Justin Guitar app), I discovered if I rotate my wrist ‘outwards’ to where the thumb is behind the neck, my fingers are at 90 degrees to the strings and I can bend the last knuckles to use the finger tips.

I don’t know what the downside is of this hand position- but it seemed to eliminate the pain and muting.

To be continued.......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh, hay-ell no! Don’t EVEN get me started on the finger fret mutation thing! Makes me SO mad!

Comment

I can’t find any lessons/ instructors within a 90 minute drive from where we retired. I love being in a rural area, but there’s a downside sometimes.

I’m working-thru the combination of left wrist pain and ‘muting’ issues- when a finger on a fret touches the adjacent, lower string.

Lot’s of YouTubes later ( and the Justin Guitar app), I discovered if I rotate my wrist ‘outwards’ to where the thumb is behind the neck, my fingers are at 90 degrees to the strings and I can bend the last knuckles to use the finger tips.

I don’t know what the downside is of this hand position- but it seemed to eliminate the pain and muting.

To be continued.......

Did you have your guitar set up? I am curious because that appears to be a lot of stress and tension in your hand, which is often caused by a high action or an improperly set up guitar. Your fretting hand should be relaxed, not flexed. One thing I did when I was first learning to fret was to try and use the same part of my fingertip for fretting the 1st all through to the 6th string. It can be tricky at first, but you keep you fingers curved and relaxed the same but bring your palm closer to the neck as you go from high e to low E. Your thumb is just a rest, you should be able to fret the notes (generally, for the most part) without using your thumb. If you have wrist pain your hand is getting fatigued from flexing and keep things under stress and tension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
        Last edited by txpitdog; 05-22-2021, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
          Did you have your guitar set up? I am curious because that appears to be a lot of stress and tension in your hand, which is often caused by a high action or an improperly set up guitar. Your fretting hand should be relaxed, not flexed. One thing I did when I was first learning to fret was to try and use the same part of my fingertip for fretting the 1st all through to the 6th string. It can be tricky at first, but you keep you fingers curved and relaxed the same but bring your palm closer to the neck as you go from high e to low E. Your thumb is just a rest, you should be able to fret the notes (generally, for the most part) without using your thumb. If you have wrist pain your hand is getting fatigued from flexing and keep things under stress and tension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
          Photo looks like physical agony.
          The E string gap looks pretty good at the 3rd fret and I imagine the guitar was set up with 12's (strings). I put Martin Lite 10's on my acoustics = end of agony but a bit of tone loss.
          If I were Bill I'd give the lighter strings a shot with a proper set-up.
          There's around 30 pounds less stress on the neck with standard issue 12's and getting rid of that stress with 10's equals less pressure to fret.
          If there is buzz at like the 10th fret let it buzz until Bill gets up in that range. A good guitar tech should know how to get the neck set for a beginner.
          Last edited by Bluesman; 05-22-2021, 10:11 PM.

Comment

Bluesman is correct about agony. I was focused on your fingers and not your thumb, which should be on the back of the neck, not the headstock. And don't try and keep it aligned with the neck like you have it in your picture. You'll move it around to help make various chords.

You'll figure a lot of this out by just making chords and making them sound clear. Keep after it!!!

Comment

Might not help but there are multiple chords that I play “my way”. I have given up on “traditional” finger patterns adapted my own to make chord transitions easier for me. And also limit muting.

I look at guitar playing like archery form. If it works for you doing it the “wrong” way, why change. So I find the way that works for me and go with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Agreed with others. Looks way too painful. Far from an expert, but I think getting a set up with lighter strings might help significantly. Are you using a pick or just finger style? Using a “light” pick might help.

I think your guitar is awesome, although I’d at least consider looking at another guitar with a little bit wider nut. Might help with the accidental muting issues.

Comment

Originally posted by schmalzy View Post
                  Agreed with others. Looks way too painful. Far from an expert, but I think getting a set up with lighter strings might help significantly. Are you using a pick or just finger style? Using a “light” pick might help.

I think your guitar is awesome, although I’d at least consider looking at another guitar with a little bit wider nut. Might help with the accidental muting issues.

Agree, try some ultra lights just until you get better strength and mobility in fingers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

To be continued.......

How’s it coming? Getting a little easier or not so painful? Helps to focus on keeping yourself relaxed. I was all locked up and pressing as hard as possible in the beginning but that just makes it harder.

Keep at it, try playing along with some basic backing tracks on YouTube. Elevated Tracks is a good one an there are tons of others for all kinds of music.

Comment

Im ready to bring it with us on a trip to Bozeman and see what they’ll give me on a used guitar.

After months I’m still not able to play a ‘clean’ sounding A-D-A-D chords. Every time I pick it up my fingers don’t remember where to go.

I’d hoped it would be a relaxing learning and fun time but it’s become frustrating that I still can’t master the basics.

Comment

Im ready to bring it with us on a trip to Bozeman and see what they’ll give me on a used guitar.

After months I’m still not able to play a ‘clean’ sounding A-D-A-D chords. Every time I pick it up my fingers don’t remember where to go.

I’d hoped it would be a relaxing learning and fun time but it’s become frustrating that I still can’t master the basics.

Bill, before you sell that nice guitar let me ask this. Have you had a chance to sit down with another guitar picker and jam some tunes? There is only so much you can learn off YouTube and from books. Learning how to play a guitar is like learning how to shoot a recurve or hit a golf ball. A more experienced person can spot and correct some things that will really improve your guitar playing. Having someone sitting right next to you and getting that “OK, now try it this way” help might be all you need. Just a suggestion but why not call ahead to some of the places that sell guitars in Bozeman and see if you can schedule some time with another guitar player. Then give yourself another month or two to work on those things. Good luck, and hope you decide to stick with it for a little while longer.

Comment

It’s tough out here in the country to find anybody who plays the guitar.

Jam? I’m stuck at the mechanics of getting my fingers in the right places to strum a chord.

My wife searched on Google and found a fellow in Bozeman who I believe teaches music at MSU and gives lessons. I have my 1st lesson tomorrow.

Comment

I was wondering about you the other day and how you were doing.

One thing I'd suggest is get away from the chord exercises and start "playing" some songs that you like. It's always been easier for me to see improvement that way as opposed to working on chord or finger drills. Don't worry about messing up or not sounding exactly right.

Great advice from 3Chord as well. Playing with someone else almost always makes you better. My youngest son (the best guitar / musician in the family) struggled early on with muting issues and in general chasing perfection. A buddy's dad that played with some big time players and singers in the 70s and 80s told him one evening, "quit worrying about being perfect and just play the **** guitar. Unless you play a Q#, you're the only one that usually hears the mistake so just keep going and quit starting over".

Keep your head up and keep picking. Remember you wanted to take up the guitar because you thought it would be fun and enjoyable. Don't let the chase for perfection ruin the fun of the process. Sooner or later it will click and you'll forget all about the struggles.

Comment

Good lesson- learned a bunch about arm and hand position. My fingers are a challenge on the 3/4 size guitar but learnable.

He said don’t worry about muting other strings right now and to have fun. Those details get worked out in time. He also said to not worry about putting in the case with a humidifier- leave it out so I see it and play during the day.

Last edited by Bill; 06-16-2021, 03:57 PM.

Comment

Good lesson- learned a bunch about arm and hand position. My fingers are a challenge on the 3/4 size guitar but learnable.

He said don’t worry about muting other strings right now and to have fun.

Excellent! I’ve had a number of things where I thought I would just have to enjoy guitar without doing those things (G, C, and Dm) but I just kept trying. It took me longer than it would a younger person but I eventually got em down.

Comment

Working...
                                X