Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tpepper70 View Post
    Love it and really love the Fear is a Liar also. Is that an Alvarez Yairi guitar? I couldn't tell for sure. Thanks a bunch for sharing as I needed this today. Tim

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Yes sir, that’s a Yairi DY-52 on Fear Is A Liar. I bought it new in 1987. I’ve owned a lot of guitars. Always buying and selling some here and there. I’ll never sell that Yairi though. It’s a good one. I recently traded for the Bourgeois OMC that I’m playing in Baptized. I’ve already bonded with it in s similar way. I don’t think I’ll ever sell it either.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
      Yes sir, that’s a Yairi DY-52 on Fear Is A Liar. I bought it new in 1987. I’ve owned a lot of guitars. Always buying and selling some here and there. I’ll never sell that Yairi though. It’s a good one. I recently traded for the Bourgeois OMC that I’m playing in Baptized. I’ve already bonded with it in s similar way. I don’t think I’ll ever sell it either.
      Thought so. I've always wanted to try one but haven't found one yet. What makes them great? I've gone thru a bunch of guitars in the 4 years I've been playing, but can't get rid of my Seagull S6, Ibanez AC-340 OPN and I'm really liking my Martin GPC-11E that I got used for a stupid good deal. Bourgeois, nice!

Comment

Originally posted by tpepper70 View Post
        Thought so. I've always wanted to try one but haven't found one yet. What makes them great? I've gone thru a bunch of guitars in the 4 years I've been playing, but can't get rid of my Seagull S6, Ibanez AC-340 OPN and I'm really liking my Martin GPC-11E that I got used for a stupid good deal. Bourgeois, nice!

There are lots of well made guitars. But every piece of wood is different. Sometimes the right pieces of wood get put together and the result is extra special. I played half a dozen other Yairi DY-52s and loads of other guitars back before I bought that one. That guitar was the one. It resonates and vibrates in your hands when you play it. It feels and sounds alive. The tone is amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
          There are lots of well made guitars. But every piece of wood is different. Sometimes the right pieces of wood get put together and the result is extra special. I played half a dozen other Yairi DY-52s and loads of other guitars back before I bought that one. That guitar was the one. It resonates and vibrates in your hands when you play it. It feels and sounds alive. The tone is amazing.
          That'd what I've heard. Thanks for sharing. Tim

Comment

Gibson just did a large expansion on their acoustic guitar factory here in Bozeman. American made.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by austinRecurve View Post
              What's everybody working on?

I recently signed up on Artist Works and started taking Bluegrass lessons with Bryan Sutton. I think their lessons are about the best bang for your buck. Lots of different teachers and genres. They have specials all the time, check out the banner at the top for the discount code.

The best bluegrass guitar lessons online, guaranteed by ArtistWorks! Get feedback from Grammy Award winner, Bryan Sutton when you submit videos!

Local school wanted $50 per half hour.
              I'll be curious to know what you think about this company, as well as the online lesson format in general, once you've hit your 3-month mark.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                I'll be curious to know what you think about this company, as well as the online lesson format in general, once you've hit your 3-month mark.
                Sure thing.

Full disclosure:

I'm 49, I've been playing guitar and electric bass on and off for about 28 years. Been in a few bands playing bass and just rhythm/songwriter on guitar and just released my first solo album. Trying to up my game. I also signed up for the classical mandolin course and working on learning/improving my sight reading.

Comment

Originally posted by austinRecurve View Post
                  What's everybody working on?

I recently signed up on Artist Works and started taking Bluegrass lessons with Bryan Sutton. I think their lessons are about the best bang for your buck. Lots of different teachers and genres. They have specials all the time, check out the banner at the top for the discount code.

The best bluegrass guitar lessons online, guaranteed by ArtistWorks! Get feedback from Grammy Award winner, Bryan Sutton when you submit videos!

Local school wanted $50 per half hour.
                  I signed up a while back to get Guthrie Trapp's lessons. It's good stuff. I have been slacking on the lessons though.

Comment

Wow- almost another year and I'm still trying to figure the guitar out.

Does anybody know- do any of the online guitar lessons let you play along at slower than true speed? I get frustrated trying to play along and while my left hand is searching for a chord, the music keeps going and I fall so far behind I quit.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      Wow- almost another year and I'm still trying to figure the guitar out.

Does anybody know- do any of the online guitar lessons let you play along at slower than true speed? I get frustrated trying to play along and while my left hand is searching for a chord, the music keeps going and I fall so far behind I quit.
                      Get the full subscription to Ultimate Guitar Tabs. It gives you the option to "play along" , listen to the song you search for. Playing along gives you your own private jam session. It helped/helps me tremendously.

Comment

Does it do play along at full speed or slower? I got an email offering a year for $19.99 instead of $199.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          Does it do play along at full speed or slower? I got an email offering a year for $19.99 instead of $199.
                          The listen feature is usually the YouTube video to the song. I play the chords and follow along listening to the song. It helped me a bunch. I think I pay $20 a year.

Comment

If you are in Bozeman, visit Music Villa. Tell them what you have told us. They should set you up right.

Comment

I signed up for Ultimate Guitar Pro, I'll let you know how it goes.

Comment

Working...
                              X