Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Educate me- adult beginner acoustic guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I went to Guitar Center yesterday to thank the tech in person. I walked out with a Pink Floyd song book (to my wife’s horror). Can’t wait to play some acoustic Floyd.

…… the lunatic is in the grass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I want to get a better capo than the one my guitar teacher ‘lent’ me months ago. I see sone are large with a plier-like grip (quick on-off if need to change) and others are small.

Taylor sells one for $40, has a screw on the bottom to tighten the mechanism on the neck.

Suggestions?

Comment

The clamp on seems to be popular. I bought capo in 1965 and quickly threw it away.
        It appears most use them to find a key to sing in. I suggest learning those chords in at least 3 positions on the neck.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
          I want to get a better capo than the one my guitar teacher ‘lent’ me months ago. I see sone are large with a plier-like grip (quick on-off if need to change) and others are small.

Taylor sells one for $40, has a screw on the bottom to tighten the mechanism on the neck.

Suggestions?

Kysar makes a decent one that runs around $25 - $30 bucks. I've got several different ones but the Kysars are pretty handy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	capo 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	24682055

Name:	capo 3.jpg
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	24682056

Name:	capo 4.jpg
Size:	22.0 KB
ID:	24682057

Comment

I have some Kysers and similar others. Clip on is fast and easy.

Comment

Originally posted by etbowhunter View Post
              Kysar makes a decent one that runs around $25 - $30 bucks. I've got several different ones but the Kysars are pretty handy.

[ATTACH]1086664[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1086665[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1086666[/ATTACH]
              I see a Seagull. I love mine. Highly underrated guitars that play way above their price point.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

Just added this Eastman Mandola to my arsenal. Fun playing this thing and sounds so cool.

It's tuned lower than a mandolin.

CC GG DD AA
                Attached Files
                Last edited by austinRecurve; 04-17-2022, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Very nice looking! Please explain the ‘double strings’ and how you play it. Do 2 strings of the same note sound different from a single string?

Comment

The 2 strings add a slight chorus effect. Mandolas and mandolins are played with a pick. I'm not aware of anyone playing by fingerpicking.

The mandocello is another instrument in the mando family. They are tuned the same as their counterpart in the violin family.

Violin - Mandolin GDAE
                    Viola - Mandola CDGA
                    Cello - Mandocello CDGA an octave lower

Comment

Originally posted by tpepper70 View Post
                      I see a Seagull. I love mine. Highly underrated guitars that play way above their price point.

That Seagull is a fun little guitar to play. I've had several more expensive guitars that don't sound nearly as good as that one. I still end up with my old Martin most of the time but that's as much about habit as anything.

Comment

Originally posted by etbowhunter View Post
                        That Seagull is a fun little guitar to play. I've had several more expensive guitars that don't sound nearly as good as that one. I still end up with my old Martin most of the time but that's as much about habit as anything.
                        Agreed. The only reason mine isn't number 1 is because I like the smaller size of my Ibanez AC240 and AC340, which are an OM/OOO size. It still gets some playing time, just not as much as it used to.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                          I went to Guitar Center yesterday to thank the tech in person. I walked out with a Pink Floyd song book (to my wife’s horror). Can’t wait to play some acoustic Floyd.

…… the lunatic is in the grass.

I’m teaching myself how to pick on “Brain Damage”. The music book has notes and tabs. The tab notation sure makes it easier to learn not worrying what an individual note is called.

Comment

Extras that you should have:
                            Tuner, metronome, string winder, capo, slide
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by austinRecurve View Post
                              Just added this Eastman Mandola to my arsenal. Fun playing this thing and sounds so cool.

It's tuned lower than a mandolin.

CC GG DD AA
                              Nice. I have an Eastman mandolin. My son has an Eastman guitar. They are high quality instruments. Not typical of Chinese made stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                                Nice. I have an Eastman mandolin. My son has an Eastman guitar. They are high quality instruments. Not typical of Chinese made stuff.
                                Yeah, I'm loving it. It adds some nice color to a few of my songs. Still rewiring my brain for the tuning.

Comment

Working...
                                X