fuel choice for whole home generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WBT View Post
    I have a large generator that runs on natural gas. I would have suggested that's the best/easiest choice until I learned Atmos started shutting off the gas lines in several communities around Dallas.

I'm now looking at a second backup generator for the essentials. Diesel and gas are more energy dense; however, they go bad over time. That pushes me towards propane. It has a much longer shelf life. I'd rather stash a bunch of 20 pound canisters and have them ready in however many years it is until this happens again. I don't want the hassle of constantly cycling through 5 gallon cans of diesel/gas sitting in the garage.
    Agreed, backups upon backups is the only way to guarantee you'll be good. Gas is something you will inevitiably use though(unless your truck/car is diesel) I don't mind getting a bunch of cans of gas the week or so before a storm, because I know I will use it in my truck the week after if I don't use it.

Also be aware that the 20lb propane tanks can freeze up if they're being used in cold weather. I didn't think about this prior to this week, had a brand new 20 lb tank that I gave to a neighbor with my generator since I still had electricity and it essentially froze up after a few hours, they said it was still full and liquid was still in it, just wouldn't run, and I had forgot to leave the gas tank for them. I'm sure someone has a fix to the problem, but it was an oversight on my part.

Comment

Working...
    X