Firewood sales question/options

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gutpileaddict View Post
    Do yall think it's right for folks to sell firewood by the piece or bundle and not to offer it by the cord or fraction of a cord?
    I know its much more profitable to see piecemeal but when we have a situation like we have now, it just seems like price qoughing.
    I'm interested in hearing y'alls thoughts.

Sent from my SM-T387V using Tapatalk
    It’s the same as paying $1.29 for a bottle of water when you can buy a whole case for $3.50.

I don’t have a problem with it.

Comment

Do yall think it's right for folks to sell firewood by the piece or bundle and not to offer it by the cord or fraction of a cord?
      I know its much more profitable to see piecemeal but when we have a situation like we have now, it just seems like price qoughing.

right? they can sell how they see fit you want to force them to sell u a cord or half cord wow

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
        A “new” member posts a thread on firewood pricing which he (or she) obviously “claims to” know nothing about, during the middle of an energy, and most importantly, a heating crisis, but is griping about the price and quantity provided...

I’ll call bull****. This is texansfan, or Vermin, or several other grossly liberal and non-contributing member of TBH that is making yet another false profile to keep posting their liberal bull**** on this site. They want more usernames so they can keep posting their liberal talking points here
        Or one of the people complaining about ammo gougers during an ammo shortage.

Comment

I understand that about the transportation and I'm down with the free market also. My problem is that all of a sudden no one wants to sell it by the cord or fraction of a cord.
          You could spend a hundred bucks and only get a couple of days worth of fuel.
          I bought a half cord for a $100 right before the snow hit.

because on a normal winter day no one will buy it by the cord anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
            I’ve been seeing these $8-$10 bundles of wood at grocery stores, Home Depot, Lowe’s etc long before this event. Not to mention the State Parks do it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            We charge $7 a bundle by the State Park. It's not like we make more than beer money after paying for gas (buggy and saw) chainsaw chains etc. It's more work than most think. And one big side by side repair eats up 2 years of selling fire wood. I know we use the buggy for lots more than firewood but you get the point.

Most people couldn't even start a chainsaw much less cut firewood LOL

Comment

I notice the firewood sales people parked on the side of the road sell in little stacks out of the back of the truck.
              My brother usually sales >100 cords of pinion/juniper mix every fall/winter season. He only does 1/2 or full cords.

Comment

Originally posted by easeup View Post
                because on a normal winter day no one will buy it by the cord anymore
                Yep
                Most people burn a little wood for “ mood “ to enjoy a night by the fire, the volume/ cord buyers seem to be serious stick burn bbq guys, and are super picky about quality
                Hardly anyone does it to keep the house warm on a regular basis

I was kinda surprised we had no takers on the offerings free wood
                With the power outage
                And most people don’t know anything about mixed bundles
                Every one is stuck on oak , mesquite, hickory, and even in a emergency will turn down mulberry, cedar, hackberry ect
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-19-2021, 09:20 AM.

Comment

a lot of people don't burn fires on a regular basis and would take 15 years to burn a cord, I'm sure they would prefer to buy a stack at a time, even though it costs a little more. People are not going to stop selling cords....lol

Comment

I started cutting wood 40 years ago and we sold oak cord delivered to Dallas 50-60 miles was $75 my dad cut my mom and sister dragged brush and I split with a maul, axe and sometimes wedges and sledge hammer.
                    I got out and helped my son cut the other night it was 5 degrees with a minus 25 windchill he sold 180 pieces because that is the way the people wanted to buy it I told him to sell it as 1 load for what ever price but he did the .50 a piece and made $85 we got out and cut another "load" yesterday much warmer 20 degrees so he earned every dollar some people were charging 1.00-1.25 a stick and I do not blame them it was cold and miserable so my opinion is if your out busting your butt to earn a dollar you can charge what ever you want this is not easy work at all.

Comment

I understand that about the transportation and I'm down with the free market also. My problem is that all of a sudden no one wants to sell it by the cord or fraction of a cord.
                      You could spend a hundred bucks and only get a couple of days worth of fuel.
                      I bought a half cord for a $100 right before the snow hit.

If the same person sold by cord or half to me and now they are not when something like this happens then I might find a new source.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                        We charge $7 a bundle by the State Park. It's not like we make more than beer money after paying for gas (buggy and saw) chainsaw chains etc. It's more work than most think. And one big side by side repair eats up 2 years of selling fire wood. I know we use the buggy for lots more than firewood but you get the point.

Most people couldn't even start a chainsaw much less cut firewood LOL
                        I believe cutting wood pays well below minimum wage especially if you deliver it.
                        I wouldn’t sell any for under $300/cord no delivery.
                        I don’t have any for sale!
                        It’s a lot of work Now I’m older it’s a heck of a lot of work!

Comment

You can go out cut,split,load and unload then give it away if you want!!
                          Or sell it for cost. I bet that won’t last long.
                          There’s not a lot of money in cutting cord wood the best way to find this out is to get in the business.

Comment

[QUOTE=pilar;15480762]For New Mexico softwood/ pine or aspen
                            “”Face Cord – Face cord of wood cost usually runs around $75. And they are typically forest firewood. You should expect that the cord measures 4 feet high x 8 feet long. The average length of each piece should run around 16 inches. So to convert the price to a full cord, you will have to divide its length into the length of a full cord which is 48 inches and multiply it by its cost. 48 inches (full cord length) ÷ 16 inches (face cord length) = 3 x $75 = $225. So in total, forest firewood costs $225 per full cord.
                            Stove Cord – Stove cord usually costs around $60. And they typically measure 4 feet x 8 feet. And the average length of each piece run around 12 inches. So the conversion goes: 48 inches (full cord length) ÷ 12 inches (stove cord length) = 4 x $60 = $240. So in total, stove cord will cost you around $240 per full cord.
                            Furnace Cord – Furnace cord usually costs around $85. And they typically measure 4 feet x 8 feet. And each firewood piece has a length of around 18 inches. So the conversion goes: 48 inches (full cord length) ÷ 18 inches (furnace cord length) = 2.67 x $85 = $227. So in total, furnace cord will have full cord of wood cost around $227
                            Are you still doubting about the size of a full cord? Here are some comparisons to put you in perspective.

The average weight of a full cord softwood runs around 2,500 lbs. On the other hand, a full cord hardwood can weigh around 5,000 lbs.
                            The average length of a single firewood runs around 16 inches. And that is thirds of the width of a full cord.
                            A small-sized pick-up vehicle or truck can carry around ½ of a full cord of wood. On the other hand, a large pick-up vehicle or truck can carry 1 full cord.””[/QUOTE]

------------------------------------------------------

depends on green wood or seasoned. Is a huge difference in weight in hardwood. Not advisable to burn green wood only unless mixed with seasoned wood, plus green wood will not put out much heat vs. seasoned wood, just makes a lots of ashes.
                            At least you made the point of the 16" wood being 1/3 the width of a stacked cord. Some people don't get that and go by a stacked cord that is 4' high and 8' long but NOT 4' wide. I've called out several people on that and asked them if the were going to make up the difference. When they said no, I left.

Comment

[quote=tdwinklr;15481208]
                              Originally posted by pilar View Post
                              For New Mexico softwood/ pine or aspen
                              “”Face Cord – Face cord of wood cost usually runs around $75. And they are typically forest firewood. You should expect that the cord measures 4 feet high x 8 feet long. The average length of each piece should run around 16 inches. So to convert the price to a full cord, you will have to divide its length into the length of a full cord which is 48 inches and multiply it by its cost. 48 inches (full cord length) ÷ 16 inches (face cord length) = 3 x $75 = $225. So in total, forest firewood costs $225 per full cord.
                              Stove Cord – Stove cord usually costs around $60. And they typically measure 4 feet x 8 feet. And the average length of each piece run around 12 inches. So the conversion goes: 48 inches (full cord length) ÷ 12 inches (stove cord length) = 4 x $60 = $240. So in total, stove cord will cost you around $240 per full cord.
                              Furnace Cord – Furnace cord usually costs around $85. And they typically measure 4 feet x 8 feet. And each firewood piece has a length of around 18 inches. So the conversion goes: 48 inches (full cord length) ÷ 18 inches (furnace cord length) = 2.67 x $85 = $227. So in total, furnace cord will have full cord of wood cost around $227
                              Are you still doubting about the size of a full cord? Here are some comparisons to put you in perspective.

The average weight of a full cord softwood runs around 2,500 lbs. On the other hand, a full cord hardwood can weigh around 5,000 lbs.
                              The average length of a single firewood runs around 16 inches. And that is thirds of the width of a full cord.
                              A small-sized pick-up vehicle or truck can carry around ½ of a full cord of wood. On the other hand, a large pick-up vehicle or truck can carry 1 full cord.””[/QUOTE]

------------------------------------------------------

depends on green wood or seasoned. Is a huge difference in weight in hardwood. Not advisable to burn green wood only unless mixed with seasoned wood, plus green wood will not put out much heat vs. seasoned wood, just makes a lots of ashes.
                              At least you made the point of the 16" wood being 1/3 the width of a stacked cord. Some people don't get that and go by a stacked cord that is 4' high and 8' long but NOT 4' wide. I've called out several people on that and asked them if the were going to make up the difference. When they said no, I left.
                              I use to make up the difference but an old wood cutter told me that people don’t want it in 24” lengths it was just too hard to handle especially for women. But it takes just as many cuts with a saw for 18 or 24” and to make up the difference you would have to charge more because you would have more cuts in a cord of wood and with big trees makes a lot more work.

Comment

I have/had 2 1/2 cords of post oak and told the neighbors that lost power and had fireplace come by and get what you need. Some did most didn’t, a buddy of mine, my son, and I dragged, chopped, and split that wood ( split half with said buddy so 5 cords of wood total) and there’s no way in hell I would sell it, to much dang work.

Comment

Working...
                                X