Shutting off water to house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did just that!!!

Only reason is when we replumbed the house everything is in the attic. We did good down to 10 degrees but we were using water all day

Comment

From a winter Texan from Michigan. Some things to think about before the next freeze.

Turn your water main off.

Turn your water heater off.

Make sure your outside faucets DO NOT have a hose hooked up to them. If you don't the faucet cannot drain the water out and that water left in the faucet can freeze. You will know what happens then after the thaw.

I pour travel trailer anti freeze in the toilets, toilet tanks and sink drains.

The only thing you need to buy and keep on hand for future freezes is the anti freeze.

Hope this helps out. I learned the hard way.

Comment

2 plumbers told us leave the water on with faucets dripping or slow stream. If you have tankless water heater leave the hot water taps running small stream. If you shut the water main off you need all the lines need to be purged with air or you risk trapping water and freezing pipes.

Comment

OP, similar situation to yours, no power for over 30 hours. Been running small streams from all faucets.

Kitchen sink cold is frozen but hot is good, master shower frozen, master sinks okay for now, guest bath hot and cold frozen, guest shower is okay

Trying to get my family somewhere warm but worried to leave. City, residential water, and was told to shut off main and leave faucets open but see some conflicting info here.

Thoughts on how to handle this? Main off, water heater off, faucets open?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
          X