No announcement yet.

? Home heat is working- outside fan isn’t

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your heat pump should switch to EH when needed and back to heat pump when it can. You put it on em only it’s going to get expensive.

Comment

? Home heat is working- outside fan isn’t

I have heard from numerous HVAC guys that you should never turn your heat pump to Auxiliary only. They say it's hard on the system. Especially when you are talking about doing it for multiple days in a row. If the heat pump fails, the Aux heat will come on anyways as it is needed. Only switch to Aux heat or "emergency heat" in a true emergency where the outside unit does not work at all.

Before you touch that Emergency Heat setting on your thermostat, read this! The Emergency Heat or Auxiliary Heat setting is the second stage of your heating system that is used when the temperature is too low for the heat pump to be able to remove heat from outside, typically below…

Last edited by 44mAG; 02-14-2021, 11:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 44mAG View Post
        I have heard from numerous HVAC guys that you should never turn your heat pump to Auxiliary only. They say it's hard on the system. Especially when you are talking about doing it for multiple days in a row. If the heat pump fails, the Aux heat will come on anyways as it is needed. Only switch to Aux heat or "emergency heat" in a true emergency where the outside unit does not work at all.

Before you touch that Emergency Heat setting on your thermostat, read this! The Emergency Heat or Auxiliary Heat setting is the second stage of your heating system that is used when the temperature is too low for the heat pump to be able to remove heat from outside, typically below…

https://www.hvac.com/blog/hvac-qa-wh...ating-setting/
        This is what I was reading when researching it online. Mine is keeping up just fine on normal heat.

Comment

I run a big buddy propane heater in the house with a hose running outside to a 30 gal tank. and leave all inside doors open. It cuts my heat pump run time in half House is around 1700 sqft

Comment

Turn heat pump off when <32° or freezing precipitation (that will freeze the fan). Using your normal (aux. or emergency heat mode) absolutely will NOT mess up your system. That's straight BS. Think about it, that's how all homes ran 20+ years ago. Lol. Don't wait for the system to lock up & force itself into emergency/aux. heat. That's just silly. Do it manually so it doesn't ever-stress the system. Heat pumps don't work effectively when it's really cold outside, they freeze up when it's really cold outside & they're just a cost saving accessory. Use the old school heater when it's <32°. That's why it's there & that's what it's for.

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
              I run a big buddy propane heater in the house with a hose running outside to a 30 gal tank. and leave all inside doors open. It cuts my heat pump run time in half House is around 1700 sqft
              Uhhh....what about carbon monoxide?????

Comment

Originally posted by mchildress View Post
                Your heat pump should switch to EH when needed and back to heat pump when it can. You put it on em only it’s going to get expensive.
                Yep. Mine will switch back and forth when needed automatically

Mine has hit aux 2-3 times but never for long through all of this so far. Once it catches up it’s back to normal.

Comment

My outside unit looked like a giant ice cube inside is why I switched mine to emergency heat as advised by our resident HVAC genius.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                    My outside unit looked like a giant ice cube inside is why I switched mine to emergency heat as advised by our resident HVAC genius.
                    I would for sure do that. I am checking on mine each time I grab more wood. Only unit I have running is on my kids rooms. My side is burning a fire since electric is gonna be crazy anyway haha

Comment

Had to switch mine over earlier today. It wasn't keeping up. Toasty now.

Comment

That is normal for them to ice up then they go into defrost mode and melt the ice off.

Comment

Well I tried putting mine on auxiliary heat only this evening. Temp inside the house dropped 5 degrees in 30 minutes. Switched back to normal heat and it’s heating fine again. Going to just stick with normal operation and hope it holds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I tried putting mine on auxiliary heat only this evening. Temp inside the house dropped 5 degrees in 30 minutes. Switched back to normal heat and it’s heating fine again. Going to just stick with normal operation and hope it holds.

Check your breakers in the panel and at the unit. That makes no sense at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Heat pump condenser??
                              Gas heat?
                              Electric strip heat?

Comment

Ours did that too. Switched to emergency heat and it started blowing cold air.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X