No announcement yet.

Fish kills?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I heard this was at Port A ferry, not from that area if that is incorrect but my area further up the coast may see the same kind of scene. Nature is fragile for sure.
    Attached Files

Comment

Gotta be fake. Nothing kills hardheads

Comment

That ferry churning up the water will.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          You've posted that graph twice now... first time "asking" about the fish kill... and not being a "smartarse"... now posting as if you know what you're talking about...

Not sure what your desired outcome is, but that graph is no predictor of bad things for the fish...

The '83 and '89 kills, the temperature dropped like that in 24-36 hours... as that graph shows, this was a prolonged event over a week... the fish very likely migrated to deeper water and that should help. Not saying all the fish will be OK, but it won't be like the earlier freezes... in the 80's freezes, many fish were trapped in holes that they ran to when the temps started dropping, but they weren't deep enough... With this prolonged but gradual drop, they likely were able to get to deeper water safely.

Leemo makes his living in our coastal waters.... I'm listening to him.

If I recall, the most devastating kills came on mullet and shad and that's likely what will start to show up first... Like Leemo posted the mangrove snapper and snook being tropical fish, could be wiped out here... dang shame too since both had made such a great comeback.

Freshwater lakes that have tialpia will see them hit bad too... They can't take anything below 50-55 degrees, shad too...
          Exactly

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          This event is child's play compared to 83 and 89.
          Yep. We rode the icw after the 89 freeze

Originally posted by bloodstick View Post
          Apples and Oranges considering the different ecosystems.

I’ll take my 25 fish limit home and keep catching until my arms wear out over catching 2-3 fish a day. Some days are better on the TX coast, but i absolutely suck in Matty even throwing live bait.

Back home in Terrebonne Parish, it’s a different story. And plastics only

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          While I agree on the ecosystem, if you're coming to Texas and can't string 3 trout on meat in one day, you're doing it wrong.

Several of us here have wore ourselves smooth out on trout in the bay and the surf on plastics and not strung a single fish. If we see a big kill, I have no problem doing it again to help out. If I want fish, I'll go run some trot lines

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ram04 View Post
            I heard this was at Port A ferry, not from that area if that is incorrect but my area further up the coast may see the same kind of scene. Nature is fragile for sure.
            Lots of dead hard heads here. A few stunned red and mangrove snapper. Saw a couple of dead trout and reds also

Comment

Skipjack and pin fish showing up dead in my brother in laws canal property on North Padre Island
              Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Originally posted by Rex View Post
                Heard Arkansas Bay water temp was observed close to 34 degree today!!
                LOL!! I meant Aransas Bay!!
                Last edited by Rex; 02-16-2021, 11:37 AM.

Comment

Temp is at 31.1
                  Dead trout in Harbor already...,.Tow traffic is moving
                  Headed to Caranchua to asses my BILs redfish farm, don’t look good for him, over 400,000 lbs he might loose

Comment

Just got a report of dead trout, reds, and drum all over 9 mile hole

Comment

Crap not what I was wanting to read. Heard anything around the upper laguna?

Comment

Saw a airboat video of Pringle Lake. It didn’t look good but I would expect everything in Pringle to die with those temps.

Comment

Anything in Pringle that didnt get in Army Hole isnt gonna do well. Espirito is shallow except for Army Hole and Shoalwater Pass

Comment

From reports I've been hearing the entire Texas coast took a big hit

Comment

This is supposedly rockport.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looks like a major fish kill over a lot of the Texas coast. Hopefully it won’t take them long to come back. It just seems like such a waste!

Comment

Working...
                                X