No announcement yet.

Diesel Truck plug in?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real truckers would tell you that if you have to ask about plugging in your diesel, you shouldn't be driving one. LOL [emoji38]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Hell I don’t think my truck has a heater . If it does I have never seen the plug in for it.

Comment

Originally posted by ttubudd View Post
        On my little silverado 1500 3L diesel, the owners manual says not to plug it in unless it's going to be below 0. Since we will be at 0, i'll probably plug it in anyways. May not get the chance to do it for a long time!
        It definitely helps the truck warm up if plugged in. My ecodiesel gets plugged in when it gets below freezing. Starts up a little easier and blows warm air almost immediately. Use a timer to turn it on a few hours before your commute.

Comment

Plug it in.

Comment

1/2 ton ecodiesel here. I plug in when it gets below thirty. Something Worth mentioning is keeping your def tank at about 3/4 full. The more fluid you have as opposed to an almost empty tank is likely to not freeze up as quick. Also, do NOT fill def all the way up cause you’ll crack the tank if it freezes. FYI- def freezes at 15 degrees.

Comment

Yes. I even installed a heater on my gasoline Mercury when I was a kid in Illinois. Sure was nice to hear that motor spin easily when starting and having heat within a couple of minutes.

Comment

Yessir

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                I'll probably be proven wrong, but I believe the DEF tank has a heater. I assume it only runs when the truck runs though.
                My Ford does,2016
                Put the anti gel-fuel additive.Howes(spelling)What I use.Get it at Atwoods.
                When it's cold,plug it in.That's from a very trusted diesel Mechanic.

Comment

You guys ever watch Ice Road Truckers

Comment

Is there a minimum and maximum time to have them plugged in? If it doesn’t hurt anything I might just leave it plugged in Monday and Tuesday when it’s coldest.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      Is there a minimum and maximum time to have them plugged in? If it doesn’t hurt anything I might just leave it plugged in Monday and Tuesday when it’s coldest.
                      No. We left plugged our work trucks in at 5 pm, unplugged them at 4 am.

Comment

Mine been plugged in for three days.

When the heater gets 85*,, it shuts off. Maintains 85 till unplugged.

Everyone should run additive year round.

Especially on older trucks. ULS doesn’t have lubricants the internal parts need.

Comment

Read somewhere where it was only recommended to be plugged in at -10 degrees on the 6.7 Powerstroke.

Comment

It was 8 degrees this morning when I remote started my 17’ 6.7 without issue. Tomorrow it’ll be -6.

Comment

We run an Isuzu NPRbox truck at the cabinet shop in Minnesota. It gets plugged in around 20 degrees. Def tank has a heater, but beyond -0 we leave or run while unloading, as the DEF has iced up and it lights up the dash and won’t turn over. I wish the guy who designed it and the people who legislated the DEF systems would ride out to an up north remote cabin job site on a cold morning and experience what it’s like to not have a bypass or emergency override. It’s unnerving to be miles from anything and have the dash start blinking and lose all power.
                              Truck starts fine when we forget to plug it in, but a weak/old battery will let you down every time. When it fires off cold, it sounds terrible, so I can imagine it’s a lot of extra wear.
                              Leave a quart of oil out tonite and pour a little out in the morning and see what happens.
                              In the Alaska settlement days, it was typical to drain engine oil at night and to watch it on a stove before pouring in the next day to start up.

Comment

Today was the first time I ever plugged mine in and it made a world of difference. It fired up easily and there was no sluggishness or warm-up period at all.

Comment

Working...
                                X