No announcement yet.

Die off from the big freeze?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm hoping the big freeze kills off all the devil's parakeets. Hoping they get caught before they can make it far enough south. Most people know them as Grackles. If it don't kill em I hope it freezes their A holes shut and they just explode. Tired of them crapping all over erthang in my yard.

Comment

Nilgai will take a big hit if it lasts very long down south. Also hoping it does a number on the aoudad. Both are getting out of control in places.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerguy View Post
        Nilgai will take a big hit if it lasts very long down south. Also hoping it does a number on the aoudad. Both are getting out of control in places.
        Good luck with that
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
          Deer are deer. Here in Michigan it's cold like this for 2 months. Actually colder. Some times we find a dead deer or two from starvation but not often.
          Deer are not the same everywhere. Ever hear of Bergmann’s Law ? The gist is that the farther N you go the bigger a deer’s body is. The bigger it is, the more cold it can take. Thus, 300 lb. Canadian deer and 175 lb. Texas deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            You already have peaches blooming?
            and plums and one pear tree. All goners, but that is normal for me. If I had to live off the fruit I harvest ida been gone long ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
              Deer are not the same everywhere. Ever hear of Bergmann’s Law ? The gist is that the farther N you go the bigger a deer’s body is. The bigger it is, the more cold it can take. Thus, 300 lb. Canadian deer and 75 lb. Texas deer.
              You accidentally put a 1 in front of 75lbs, fify

But yes, bigger body retains and/or generates more heat, or something.

Comment

I’m afraid my citrus trees are going to die whether I cover them or not, forecast is calling for 13 in Magnolia Tuesday morning.

Comment

Think about all the wildlife we have up here in Wyoming and then think about how cold it gets, like right now it is about 12 below zero.
                  Those animals will do just fine.
                  When weather kills them, it is usually after a hard winter when they are already weakened and then we get a big, heavy snow in the spring when they are dropping their young. That's what kills them.

Comment

As mentioned above, it won’t be good for the nilgai.

Comment

Since we are not getting large amounts of snow the deer and turkey will be able to find food. And what we do get will be gone in a few days.

Comment

I think the whitetail will be ok, maybe a few that don’t make it but I sure hope the chiggers, fleas, ticks, and mosquitos die off. Or at least take a hit.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                          Think about all the wildlife we have up here in Wyoming and then think about how cold it gets, like right now it is about 12 below zero.
                          Those animals will do just fine.
                          When weather kills them, it is usually after a hard winter when they are already weakened and then we get a big, heavy snow in the spring when they are dropping their young. That's what kills them.
                          But the deer up there have hollow hair so they have much more insulation. Our deer do not.

Comment

Naturally this cold snap won’t kill any pigs. In fact I wouldn’t be surprised if their numbers actually increase.

Comment

Two days ago I saw a coyote with mange when the temperature was in the teens. Just a strip of fur down its back. If that son of a gun can live in that surely the deer can live in it. If not maybe they're weak as a species and don't really need to be here.

This is mother nature's way of killing off the sick and injured. There's a reason for everything. The weak will die, the strong will live. Deer are way overpopulated. If some die it won't really have a negative impact on the species as a whole. Unless it does then........oh well.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 02-12-2021, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
                                Since we are not getting large amounts of snow the deer and turkey will be able to find food. And what we do get will be gone in a few days.
                                We may be getting 12-28" in north texas after the 2 storms are finally out of here and likely wont get above freezing until the following weekend

Comment

Working...
                                X