Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
    What does it mean to "Burn Points"
    Burn points = Use your preference/bonus points.

Comment

Originally posted by ElkTipper View Post
      Ya, the demand is really high. It could all be money down the drain. But if we all don't at least try, then are chances are 0%.. Lord knows I can't afford without a lucky draw..
      Until then, Ill keep hunting rugged NM 55A
      Small world. I've spent a couple of elk seasons in the Colin Neblett WMA. Beautiful, rugged country. Should have been going for mule deer both times and I would have tagged out. Elk were scarce on the public land but all over the lower country, private land. Still loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by scubasteven25 View Post
        Burn points = Use your preference/bonus points.
        The only way to use them is to get selected fir the hunt , correct?

If you are not drawn, you still keep your points?

Comment

I just started. Have a single point for elk, deer and pronghorn for MT, WY and CO. I will hunt every year on a second chance draw or OTC CO. Life’s too short not to go out west every year! Wish I would have started buying points 15 years ago.

Comment

beautiful country for sure with some monster muleys!

Comment

In Wyoming you must either apply for a license or buy a PP at least every 2 years or you lose them.
              Colorado has a longer period of time.

Comment

Correct. Draw a tag and that burns your points. Otherwise, you keep building.

Comment

I have points in Wyoming, Colorado, and Montana for deer, elk, and pronghorn. I burned my elk points in Wyoming two years ago on a general tag.
                  I’m different from most people building points, in that I will probably always go through an outfitter no matter what. But drawing vs a private land owner tag should still save a lot of coin when the time comes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Only building in CO an WY.

Have 22 for CO MD.
                    Have 10 for WY Lope and MD.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                      Question for all the point builders- do y’all just buy points in states every year and hope to one day draw the high demand units or do y’all accumulate points while also hunting those states and animals?
                      I’m only building right now. Had a mule deer hunt in MT a couple years ago that I had to cancel. I only have a couple points and not holding for anything close to a dream unit in any state but really only have the ability to go every couple years due to time. I’m probably one of the few on here that will likely only be going with an outfitter too instead of a diy trip yearly. Young family and work only leaves me a handful of time to hunt each year and right now my focus is spending that time in the field with my dad so most of those trips are to the lease here

Comment

You can look up how many points it takes to draw a particular unit you want to hunt, and plan to put in for that hunt to likely draw (burn points) given you have the right amount of points.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I have points for Wyoming and last year I burned my Colorado MD points on a bum hunt.

If I draw in New Mexico for elk I will hunt my home unit, same with deer. Colorado or Wyoming I will buy points for the next two years then hunt with an outfitter if I draw. Too much time passes between draws and my time is too precious to waste on units and areas I don’t know.

My mule deer spot in Colorado is also an OTC elk unit, hoping they make it a limited draw because it’s crawling with otc elk hunters during 2nd rifle...lots of orange to deal with.

Comment

AZ Elk - 16 after this draw
                            CO Elk - 15 before this draw
                            CO Deer - 16 before this draw
                            CO Moose - 3 + 12 weighted before this draw
                            CO Mtn Goat - 3 + 12 weighted before this draw
                            MT Elk - 14 permit bonus points
                            WY ELK - 1
                            WY Moose - 1

My 21 year old son will have 12 points in AZ for elk after this draw and similar for elk, moose and deer in Colorado. His dad started him early.

Comment

Originally posted by ElkTipper View Post
                              Cant agree more on purchasing a license for points.. AZ especially is pretty rich. But the nice thing is, you can get 2 points for 1 license purchase. So it isn't terrible. Would really blow if you had to buy a license every year for only 1 point.
                              Unless you put in for Deer too, that will make you buy a license every year.

I'm up to 9 or so in CO, I wish I started all the other states when I started CO. I think I'm up to 4 or 5 in AZ, UT, NV, WY and MT.

Comment

Working...
                              X