2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2021-22 east texas season

Deer move around with the food. Very few acorns this year so they could be doing something totally different than normal. I had 10 does and fawns on my 40 acres in trinity co before season. I had almost a 100 hours since mid October and I saw a doe one time in October. Before season I would have said awesome population and numbers. After hunting for a month I felt like I was hunting Canada. I was happy to see a deer.

Plus when you pigeon hole yourself into one area on a lease you are going to be subject to fluctuating movement.

I don’t think numbers are down as much as people think, just the hunting coupled with weather/moon has sucked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tshelly; 11-30-2021, 03:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
      I don’t think numbers are down as much as people think, just the hunting coupled with weather/moon has sucked.

Maybe you're right. And God knows I hope you are. Or maybe I need to hit Todd up again about Newton.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        Maybe you're right. And God knows I hope you are. Or maybe I need to hit Todd up again about Newton.

Lol we are full now. I think our best hunting is yet to come this year. Just keep pouring the feed. Still lots of time left if we can get some cold weather

Comment

Originally posted by Allpublic View Post
          Etxbuckman, im sorry you are not seeing the deer you think you should be, and maybe there is something up with your property, but the deer numbers are good. Especially in trinity county. More regulation and restrictions is the last thing we need. Tpwd has done a great job in my opinion and in recent years the hunting has been better than ever. I can go out anyday of the week and see deer in any of the counties around me, almost guaranteed. I have hunted east texas all my life and it hasnt always been like that. I hope tpwd keeps up the good work and nothing changes.
          It’s not necessarily about seeing deer when you hunt in November ….It’s more about observing trends through an entire year. My place is in Polk County which is a surrounding county to Trinity…. There is nothing wrong with my land or the immediate surrounding farms, in fact it’s pretty awesome habitat. That being said, deer pops are down. Since we are offering guarantees, I can guarantee there are days when you would not see a deer. While they’re never was “hill country herds” within my immediate area, one could expect to see deer more often. I do get your point about hunting… I have no complaints on the quality of the bucks on my place… but have concern about that lack of does and where this leads us in a few years.

I started hunting in Trinity County in 1995 and helped one of the premier clubs in that county get on a management program long before MLD and 13 inch restrictions. Back then shooting a doe was almost sinful. Have we possibly swung too far in the other direction? Maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
            It’s not necessarily about seeing deer when you hunt in November ….It’s more about observing trends through an entire year. My place is in Polk County which is a surrounding county to Trinity…. There is nothing wrong with my land or the immediate surrounding farms, in fact it’s pretty awesome habitat. That being said, deer pops are down. Since we are offering guarantees, I can guarantee there are days when you would not see a deer. While they’re never was “hill country herds” within my immediate area, one could expect to see deer more often. I do get your point about hunting… I have no complaints on the quality of the bucks on my place… but have concern about that lack of does and where this leads us in a few years.

I started hunting in Trinity County in 1995 and helped one of the premier clubs in that county get on a management program long before MLD and 13 inch restrictions. Back then shooting a doe was almost sinful. Have we possibly swung too far in the other direction? Maybe?
            I'd say I agree 100%, but you already know that.

Comment

I dont mean to come across like i am some awesome hunter. And yes you are absolutely right, there are days that i dont see deer and nothing is a guarantee. But nearly every sit i see deer, and thats the truth. Im not seeing herds. But i see deer. Bucks and does. I hunt polk county. I hunt trinity, and san jacinto. I have since the 80's. In my opinion the hunting is and has been great. Im just not seeing the downward trend that yall are.

Comment

I said it before in a previous post, i have seen way more bucks than does this year. In past years i seen way more does than bucks. Overall, im still seeing bucks and does, of various age groups. And see plenty of them. So i feel everthing is in check. Thats just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Tshelly View Post
                  Lol we are full now. I think our best hunting is yet to come this year. Just keep pouring the feed. Still lots of time left if we can get some cold weather

Makes me wish we could bowhunt during the muzzleloader season

Comment

I dont mean to come across like i am some awesome hunter. And yes you are absolutely right, there are days that i dont see deer and nothing is a guarantee. But nearly every sit i see deer, and thats the truth. Im not seeing herds. But i see deer. Bucks and does. I hunt polk county. I hunt trinity, and san jacinto. I have since the 80's. In my opinion the hunting is and has been great. Im just not seeing the downward trend that yall are.
                    Dang, do you work? Lol.

It’s not about arguments or debate or who’s the better Hunter or who’s not. It seems that the times when we have these discussions people take it ther, but let’s not. Its just conversation.

Comment

I agree. Didnt intend it any other way. Sorry. Carry on

Comment

I agree. Didnt intend it any other way. Sorry. Carry on
                        It’s all good brother. Although we still want to know how you have time to hunt 3 counties!

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
                          Agreed.

Should be primitive weapon season.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post

Never made sense that we couldn’t bow hunt muzzleloader. Muzzle loaders have at least 2-3x the effective range, not sure why we single out one type of weapon to hunt with at the end of the season.

Comment

Haha, im a contractor and am blessed to make my own schedule. I live minutes from the sam and can be hunting in polk or trinity in less than an hour. I just love to hunt and be in the woods.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                                If anyone that's concerned about deer numbers cares to be proactive, here is a link to TPWD's website for their biologists by county. I suggest sending them an email and letting them know, otherwise if no one does anything they'll just leave it status quo until there aren't any deer left:

https://tpwd.texas.gov/landwater/land/habitats/county/
                                I'm sending you a PM

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X