2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
    Did you wear your spurs this morning to dig into that tree stand?
    Lol nope. I went to a short stand on a different part of the property that hasn't been hunted this year yet. I snuck down to my main spot at lunch and pulled the card. Wouldnt you know...two shooters guarding does from 8-8:45am this morning. One new guy that looked pretty old and Nine Lives 20 mins after after him. There's no way I could have held on up in that pine this morning with the gust we are having. I might try it this evening though.

Comment

Dang!! Wish one of you guys would shoot somethin' already!! Heck, even ol' Jooger ain't postin' up nuthin'... How's a guy spos'd ta be able to get his fix iffin' y'all don't never shoot nuthin'!!

Comment

Rough morning for me.

Weather called for it to settle to a 12-14mph wind from 7am-10am then cranking back up till 6pm

They were pretty close! Only missed it by 15-20 mph. I never seen it below a 25. Seen 4 cat squirrels and 3 coons . 1 squirrel got blown off limb.

Got down at 10:00 and went into work. Got things checked and made a few plans for youth season tomorrow. HOPE to sneak back in about 4:30. Surprised at number of deer at Lola’s stands on camera yesterday evening. No shooters, but movement

Comment

Good luck to everyone this weekend

Comment

Guys - Any tips or thoughts on stand placement (ground or tree stand) because I keep getting winded and winded b/c I do not know where the deer will be coming out at. I hear snorting and ****** off does and I never even see them. I wash my clothes in fragrance free stuff, spray on Dead Down, but feel like they know I am there...

Comment

Originally posted by jershua View Post
              Guys - Any tips or thoughts on stand placement (ground or tree stand) because I keep getting winded and winded b/c I do not know where the deer will be coming out at. I hear snorting and ****** off does and I never even see them. I wash my clothes in fragrance free stuff, spray on Dead Down, but feel like they know I am there...

Best advice would be to move stand out where you can access it without crossing as much wood lots bedding areas as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^^^ about sums it up. Scent free is a myth. Keep you scent out of where they come from. If they come from “anywhere “. That’s a bad set up and should be abandoned

Comment

Thanks guys. Do you guys try to put a tree stand or ground blind at the end of an open area towards woods or within a thick area that just has a good approach to it?

Comment

Thanks guys. Do you guys try to put a tree stand or ground blind at the end of an open area towards woods or within a thick area that just has a good approach to it?

Personal preference there, i prefer being elevated however blind conceals movement and scent better. I’d stick it at the end and observe your deer movement, then adjust accordingly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                      ^^^ about sums it up. Scent free is a myth. Keep you scent out of where they come from. If they come from “anywhere “. That’s a bad set up and should be abandoned
                      This. All of this. My bow stand is on the ground and is backed up inside an area that is so overgrown with under brush there is no way for a deer to get behind me within 50 yards. No wind behind me as a result also. That puts everything out in front. Bow hunting is tough but proper blind placement levels the playing field somewhat.

Comment

Speaking of Corrigan…. There is a broken pole with power lines down by Brookshires, has 59 and 287 both stopped this evening

Comment

Originally posted by AgHntr10 View Post
                          Speaking of Corrigan…. There is a broken pole with power lines down by Brookshires, has 59 and 287 both stopped this evening
                          Pro tip - take 62 around the mill. That is if you’re heading east.

Comment

Early in the week have had a 3.5 year old locked down with a doe here at the house. This afternoon the last hour and a half of daylight, they were definitely looking. Had 5 bucks checking does including the 3.5 year old that had been locked down. A little light sparing between the younger bucks. Nice weather and a great deer watching evening.

Comment

If your stand is on a feeder, I'd suggest putting the stand on the West side of the feeder. In East Texas, the prevailing winds are from the Southeast, so a stand on the West side of your feeder would allow you to hunt north, south, east or any combination of winds... Seldom does the wind blow from the west around here. If it does, it's usually associated with an impending weather change (like we just had). And it usually does not come from the west very long... Now if the deer are coming into your feeder from the West or anything such as Northwest, SouthWest, any direction with a W in it, then try to relocate your feeder so that the deer do not approach from the west...

No feeder and on a trail, same thing... try to pick an ambush point where you can sit west of where your shot will come from if possible...
                              Another strategy is to set you stand up for a specific wind... such as a North wind and only go in there when there's a north wind...

Summarizing, just think about where you are hunting and where the deer are likely to be approaching the area from, then pick a spot that you can ambush them from downwind. You ain't gonna fool their nose, not spooky deer anyway... Deer that are used to people can be "fooled"... It's not that they don't smell. It's just that they don't spook from the smell because they're used to it...

Comment

Snuck back in tree just a few minutes after 4:00….. cat squirrels until around 6:00. Caught movement in a thicket where I videoed a buck breeding a doe last year. The 9pt that is ALWAYS with “main Event” walked right under me! I was getting pretty excited by him being there. He was watching his back side and finally just wondered on about his day. 20 minutes later I catch movement on same trail cutting through thicket!!!!………trash panda

Comment

Working...
                                X