Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Native Texan View Post
    What a beautiful East Texas morning!!

I had a VERY old short tined 8 point and a 4 year old 130" 10 point eating together at 12 yards this morning. They ate for about 10 minutes, then the old buck sniffed the air and took off after a doe with the 10 right behind him.

All my cameras are on fire with deer activity at all hours of the day and night.
    That’s the way my place has been this week even through mid day in the heat.

Comment

My cameras in hardin county are ice cold. No bucks, very few doe, think i might say that this lease sucks

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
        My cameras in hardin county are ice cold. No bucks, very few doe, think i might say that this lease sucks

Weird. My place is in Liberty/hardin and I set out a camera two weeks ago, checked it last Monday and had 8 different bucks come through. Gonna have my lease buddy check it Tuesday. I’d be willing to bet as many or more bucks will be on it, activity is picking up on our place

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Well I had a shooter 8pt at 20yds for 20 mins at 6:45pm and let him go. He just wasn't one of the two I'm after and could use another year. He's the only deer I saw from 2:30-7:10pm. I went and sat in a stand on the other side of the property to change it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
            Well I had a shooter 8pt at 20yds for 20 mins at 6:45pm and let him go. He just wasn't one of the two I'm after and could use another year. He's the only deer I saw from 2:30-7:10pm. I went and sat in a stand on the other side of the property to change it up.
            I bet if y’all get a little rain tonight you’ll have a good hunt in the morning. Wupps. Just looked at the radar and it don’t look like it’s gonna reach you.Good luck.
            Last edited by Gumbo Man; 10-23-2021, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
              I bet if y’all get a little rain tonight you’ll have a good hunt in the morning. Wupps. Just looked at the radar and it don’t look like it’s gonna reach you.Good luck.
              I came home. Won't be back until next Friday afternoon. Looking forward to the cool front.

Comment

Originally posted by jershua View Post
                I was reading stories on here about mature bucks not liking traditional feeders and hand corn pens worked much better. But I live so far away, wanted to see if it is possible to hand corn in a feeder pen and how often / how much.
                If you hang a feeder high in a tree the mature deer are not as skittish of it as a traditional feeder.

A few years ago I made a Pig Pipe from a 5 gallon bucket by cutting a few 5/8 holes in the side and attaching a short staked chain to the bottom. A few screws in the side of the lid and the hogs couldn't open it. They would stay there for hours rolling it around.
                What I didn't expect to see was how the mature bucks went after it. I have bucks that won't go near a feeder but will spend many hours kicking that bucket.
                Hogs will empty it in a few days but it will last about a week if only the deer are hitting it.

Comment

Sunday bump to get beyond 666 views.

Comment

There is a lot of truth to that but I will always stick to my guns saying that all properties are different regarding how deer respond to feeders. On my property consistency is the key as is with any property. I you put a feeder up right before season and start running and gunning they will become very shy of daytime feeding. I feed year round here in East Texas. The mature bucks have been using these feeders as a food source for several years since they were young so they are used to them. The older deer on my place are more willing to come to a gravity feeder as opposed to a slinger but I do use both throughout the year. I don’t use pens. I shoot and trap the hogs and keep the numbers down to a minimum. But what works for me might not work on another property. But I live 15 minutes from my property not 2 hours so I hope you re evaluate the problem that would be for you regarding consistent food source. As you can see these bucks are mature and they are not afraid of the feeders.
                    Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I am new to the lease (2nd year) and members on it the past 10 years have said that no-one has shot a mature deer under a feeder (about 8 up on the property) so I was trying to think outside of the box given the circumstances on my high pressure lease. Looks like every single property is different and I just have more timid deer potentially.

I was thinking about putting a feeder pen inside a thick part of the woods that no one ever walks and try to feed almost year round - maybe the non-openess and constant 2 seconds per day of corn will help train them to get comfortable in the woods. I could then set up a ladder stand and bow hunt it and it would be out of site out w/ "comfortable" deer in there. Just trying to think of ideas given it is 2 hour drive.

Comment

Originally posted by jershua View Post
                      Thanks for the input. I appreciate it. I am new to the lease (2nd year) and members on it the past 10 years have said that no-one has shot a mature deer under a feeder (about 8 up on the property) so I was trying to think outside of the box given the circumstances on my high pressure lease. Looks like every single property is different and I just have more timid deer potentially.

I was thinking about putting a feeder pen inside a thick part of the woods that no one ever walks and try to feed almost year round - maybe the non-openess and constant 2 seconds per day of corn will help train them to get comfortable in the woods. I could then set up a ladder stand and bow hunt it and it would be out of site out w/ "comfortable" deer in there. Just trying to think of ideas given it is 2 hour drive.

Probably have a better chance at just sitting a major funnel point or something. I’ll agree with everybody else in the thread that you won’t kill a truly mature buck in a pressured area at a feeder in east Texas. Maybe set up a feeder and try and focus on the trails that skirt around it possibly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What do yall think about pipelines, i hunt 2 pipelines on my lease. Deer come out at different spots and cant really pinpoint a trail in the woods cause its so thick. I hand corn both and set a feeder up on one. All i have coming to it is a doe and 2 fawns. Think my best bet is to try and catch them cruising looking for a doe

Comment

Originally posted by Tyrex750 View Post
                          What do yall think about pipelines, i hunt 2 pipelines on my lease. Deer come out at different spots and cant really pinpoint a trail in the woods cause its so thick. I hand corn both and set a feeder up on one. All i have coming to it is a doe and 2 fawns. Think my best bet is to try and catch them cruising looking for a doe
                          Pipelines are very productive because of increased visibility. When strong rutting activity is happening and I see a doe crossing a pipeline I move my gun to that window and wait to see what is trailing her. If she’s quick to cross or running he’s not far behind. If not running and she’s by herself a buck will be crossing eventually. Could be an hour later. Single does are what I’m looking for.

Comment

Pipelines are very productive because of increased visibility. When strong rutting activity is happening and I see a doe crossing a pipeline I move my gun to that window and wait to see what is trailing her. If she’s quick to cross or running he’s not far behind. If not running and she’s by herself a buck will be crossing eventually. Could be an hour later. Single does are what I’m looking for.
                            Exactly. But I’ve found that once the rut is over bucks don’t typically tend to cross them in daylight. At least where I hunt anyway.

As far as cameras are concerned movement on mine has been slim to none during this last heatwave. I am so ready for this next cold front to come through so I can get out there

Comment

I had a spike dog a nubbin all over the place Saturday. Does that count as the rut? Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                                I had a spike dog a nubbin all over the place Saturday. Does that count as the rut? Lol
                                Yep. But when boys play with boys they grow up doing this.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X