2021-22 east texas season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jershua View Post
    Hello! I was a new hunter and learned a ton from this forum and all of the knoweldge that was shared. I was on a cheap lease in East Texas and put some out hog panel feeder pens, fed corn for a year, vanilla scented it sometimes, put out cameras, found a target buck who joined a younger bachelor group, waited for the perfect wind, and got lucky on a trophy buck! He scores 144.5 gross and it was my first time ever shooting an animal with a bow! Thanks a lot for all of the input and help on this East Texas Forum the past 2 years.
    Posting pics for ^jershua.....and congrats sir! That's a fine East Texas buck right there
    Attached Files

Comment

Great looking east texas buck right there!

Comment

Thank you Hogslayer78 for posting the pics for me! Left Browtine is 9 inches and spread is 19.25 inches. Crazy!

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
          Posting pics for ^jershua.....and congrats sir! That's a fine East Texas buck right there
          Wow, hell of a first archery buck.

Good job jershua.

J

Comment

Wow, that's an awesome buck. Well done!

Comment

Stud. Congrats

Comment

Great job, Jershua. That's a fine buck.

I've got two bucks I would kill- they're both mature but lacking in the antler department- so I'm trying to make myself wait and go back closer to when the rut tends to kick off (mid- to late-October). I'm afraid if one particular buck comes out now I'm going to shoot him. I'd rather see what else rolls in during the rut though, and then take one of these others out after Thanksgiving.

Comment

Thank you Hogslayer78 for posting the pics for me! Left Browtine is 9 inches and spread is 19.25 inches. Crazy!
                  Very nice! Lots of character

Comment

Took the dogs out this morning and got wore out!!! Had to go inside and watch through the back door mosquitos were so bad, watching them hit the window makes me glad I’m not battling them in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Dude awesome buck, congrats

Comment

Thanks Guys - I knew nothing about bow hunting, scent, patterns of deer, behavior, etc. and I studied alot of the tips on here on the prior years East Texas Thread and just took lots of notes in excel of the items that I learned on here. I then tried to do those items on my east texas lease and everything came perfectly into place on my first bow hunt of my life! bought a cheap ladder stand at Academy and installed it in a shady area 30 yards out for a North Wind only. I was in the stand at 4:50 PM on Saturday, feeder goes off at 5:30 PM, 3 small bucks hop in at 4:55 PM (5 minutes waiting only...) they are about to leave b/c of no corn anywhere. Target walks in, looks around, about to leave, turns broadside and I fire a shot. Lunged him and got super super lucky. 9 minutes of hunting for the 2021 season. Its like a story I would read in a book of the luckiest hunter ever.

Comment

The feeder pens helped me out a lot along with no activity all summer up there. Place is loaded with Hogs but no hogs near my area b/c of the pens and no breaches in a year. The deer were comfortable in there and that mature buck just made a mistake the past 3 weeks and joined the small bachelor group. Only mature buck in there over the past year and happened to be the last 3 weeks before opening day. Crazy.

Comment

Thanks Guys - I knew nothing about bow hunting, scent, patterns of deer, behavior, etc. and I studied alot of the tips on here on the prior years East Texas Thread and just took lots of notes in excel of the items that I learned on here. I then tried to do those items on my east texas lease and everything came perfectly into place on my first bow hunt of my life! bought a cheap ladder stand at Academy and installed it in a shady area 30 yards out for a North Wind only. I was in the stand at 4:50 PM on Saturday, feeder goes off at 5:30 PM, 3 small bucks hop in at 4:55 PM (5 minutes waiting only...) they are about to leave b/c of no corn anywhere. Target walks in, looks around, about to leave, turns broadside and I fire a shot. Lunged him and got super super lucky. 9 minutes of hunting for the 2021 season. Its like a story I would read in a book of the luckiest hunter ever.

You're blessed brother. Congratulations a great buck.

Comment

The feeder pens helped me out a lot along with no activity all summer up there. Place is loaded with Hogs but no hogs near my area b/c of the pens and no breaches in a year. The deer were comfortable in there and that mature buck just made a mistake the past 3 weeks and joined the small bachelor group. Only mature buck in there over the past year and happened to be the last 3 weeks before opening day. Crazy.
                              I put some pens up for the first time ever just two weeks ago. I've always been hesitant because I felt like they wouldn't use them, but per my cameras they were in there the afternoon I put them up. And no stinkin' azz hogs so far either.

I did leave one feeder unpenned so the swine would (hopefully) use it and leave my primary stand alone.

I'm not going to go this weekend or next, but the weather starting the 17th looks tempting so I may have to work remotely for a couple of days.
                              Last edited by Etxbuckman; 10-07-2021, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                                I put some pens up for the first time ever just two weeks ago. I've always been hesitant because I felt like they wouldn't use them, but per my cameras they were in there the afternoon I put them up. And no stinkin' azz hogs so far either.

I did leave one feeder unpenned so the swine would (hopefully) use it and leave my primary stand alone.

I'm not going to go this weekend or next, but the weather on starting the 17th looks tempting so I may have to work remotely for a couple of days.

I put up feeder pens on my place and it’s kept the hogs out but the deer haven’t seem to hit it yet. It’s in an oak flat so maybe they haven’t moved in yet other than a few does here and there. Gonna check cams tomorrow so hopefully a big boy has moved in since last card pull!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X