Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Anyone remember cold snap of 1983?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I killed a good deer that first weekend of that cold spell in 83 out at Robert Lee. It was 12 degrees with blowing snow.

Some of the coves at Lake Ray Hubbard were frozen and people were walking across them.

Now here in Iowa it's no big deal.....just wintertime in the Heartland. Here is our forecast for next week and my view now. Next Saturday the forecasted high is -3 with a low of -10.[emoji51]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Arrowsmith; 02-06-2021, 02:20 PM.

Comment

We called that early fall in Indiana

Comment

Yes, I remember it pretty well.

Had a water line freeze, bust and flood my basement up to the table saw table.
        Went dove hunting on Jan 2 and it was -4° by my thermometer.
        Dove inall the cedar trees, but I was bundled up so tight and they would keep the tree between me and them.
        It was more of a walk in winter wonder land.

I laugh at all the news/weather casters now with their "unprecedented" weather reports.
        Like someone said above; didn't get above 15° for 10 days.
        At work, Mobil Pipeline then, we had to build clear plastic tents over the MOV's and put some heat in them so they could operate.

Comment

I remember it. We were in Colorado skiing. When we came home the pool was frozen over. Cracked it and it was never the same. Now it's covered in dirt. We were just talking about that storm this morning...

Comment

Originally posted by Wood Man View Post
            I remember it. My job was to go around with an axe and bust the ice on the ponds so the cattle had water to drink. I was a teenager then. I remember it was cold. I recall measuring 6 inches thick ice.

Same here. Had to bust ice every 30 minutes for the cows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X