No announcement yet.

Feeder pen-Solar fence charger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We put up a single electric wire on top of our cattle panels to keep cattle out of our protein storage pen in the pasture. So far it seems to have worked. Deer pictures inside the pen but no cattle. We used the ten mile version from tractor supply. So far we haven’t had issues in our regular feed pens.

Comment

Originally posted by Main Frame View Post
      We ran a hot wire above the top of our feeder panels probably about 44-48" above the ground on all of our pens with protein. It deterred some cows but some would still get in the pens. We were in an awful drought in Mexico and the cows were starving to death too so they were highly motivated to get in those pens. Ended up setting 4 corner posts on each pen with concrete, t posts in between and 5 strand bard wire. It has kept them out so far.

Some guys have done this. If i go to this measure I’ll find a new place to hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We never ran a hot wire, but what we did do was put 3” pipe corner posts and 3” pipes on the gates and ran a single strande of barb wire about 4-5” above the cattle panel and had success keeping the cattle out of the pens

Comment

Originally posted by Main Frame View Post
          We ran a hot wire above the top of our feeder panels probably about 44-48" above the ground on all of our pens with protein. It deterred some cows but some would still get in the pens. We were in an awful drought in Mexico and the cows were starving to death too so they were highly motivated to get in those pens. Ended up setting 4 corner posts on each pen with concrete, t posts in between and 5 strand bard wire. It has kept them out so far.
          Same here. We have our pens with 12 hog panels and 10-15 feet or so outside of those we have a 3 stand barbed wire fence. Bottom wire is about 24” off the ground. The deer go under the barbed wire fence and over the hog panels. No problems with cows or horses.
          Last edited by dc1986; 02-01-2021, 12:00 PM.

Comment

I’m thinking of running 2 strands of the poly tape about 10’ on the outside of my pen. Just curious how the deer will react

Comment

Been wondering the same thing myself except for sheep

Comment

Got some positive news from the lease manager, seems the land owner is going to get rid of the bull but still may run the hot wire so the others don’t test it

Comment

I have a charger on my feed pen. 36" panels, 6 inches higher a single strand barbwire. ran charged slick wire in between. Been successful so far.

Comment

Originally posted by 160class View Post
                    We never ran a hot wire, but what we did do was put 3” pipe corner posts and 3” pipes on the gates and ran a single strande of barb wire about 4-5” above the cattle panel and had success keeping the cattle out of the pens

Ok I did the same except two strands above hog panels. One at 6" above the other 12" above panels.

I have repaired replaced tightened about a dozen times in 2020. These pictures are from first feed run week ago. My pens are 64'x64'. Hot wire is what I'm gonna try next. Hope it effing works.

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                      Ok I did the same except two strands above hog panels. One at 6" above the other 12" above panels.

I have repaired replaced tightened about a dozen times in 2020. These pictures are from first feed run week ago. My pens are 64'x64'. Hot wire is what I'm gonna try next. Hope it effing works.

I feel the pain. I scored some panels on Facebook and cut them down to 46”. They should settle about 43” or so. Hoping mine works abs good luck

Comment

I didn’t have good results.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by cpr1979 View Post
                          I feel the pain. I scored some panels on Facebook and cut them down to 46”. They should settle about 43” or so. Hoping mine works abs good luck

The pens you have/had trouble with, where they round or square? This pen is square I am having problems with and I wonder if round might help deter cows?

Comment

Fence jumpers
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by sotx View Post
                              The pens you have/had trouble with, where they round or square? This pen is square I am having problems with and I wonder if round might help deter cows?

My pen was mostly round with plenty of space between feeders and fence. When i replace it it’s going to be a little smaller. Plan to drive a tpost at every hinge and hope for the best

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Canyon View Post
                                Fence jumpers
                                Is that a cow blowing through hot wire? I see what looks like a solar panel?

Comment

Working...
                                X