Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2021 San Angelo surrounding area season thread..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck DRT

Posted this already in same forum, but did not specify where my Son killed this buck. So for this OP, Robert Lee. 8 point and my son's processor measured at 20.7" wide. Yesterday at 5:15. Landon said he was not swelled up but a little wet. Probably the widest anyone has killed for years on our place. Not much mass but those "dog catchers" are impressive. Enjoy your hunt this year all and a early Merry Christmas!!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
      He was really old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Nice job. Congrats again on the old buck. He looks good!

Comment

Originally posted by kumathebear View Post
        Posted this already in same forum, but did not specify where my Son killed this buck. So for this OP, Robert Lee. 8 point and my son's processor measured at 20.7" wide. Yesterday at 5:15. Landon said he was not swelled up but a little wet. Probably the widest anyone has killed for years on our place. Not much mass but those "dog catchers" are impressive. Enjoy your hunt this year all and a early Merry Christmas!!

Comment

I just got back from the Barnhart area. The hunt was a roller coaster. Some sits had no animals at all and some almost 10 at one time.

I had a bachelor group come in the first night of 3 year old bucks. Bucks in my area aren’t hitting feeders or at least reliably.

I ended the trip with one turkey & 4 deer in the ice chest. I managed to kill 3 doe in one sit.

I am down to my trophy buck tag and will Lilly be out there week after Thanksgiving. Bucks seem like a light rut is starting but not enough to break up the bachelor groups yet. Target buck showed up on camera after I drove 7 hours home.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
            He was really old.

Daaaang no wonder you got him? You taking advantage of the old, deaf and blind?[emoji12][emoji23]

Congrats again man! Good deer to break to dry spell

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
              Daaaang no wonder you got him? You taking advantage of the old, deaf and blind?[emoji12][emoji23]

Congrats again man! Good deer to break to dry spell

I gave him every opportunity to get away and he kept coming back.

Comment

Originally posted by longhornmatt View Post
                I just got back from the Barnhart area. The hunt was a roller coaster. Some sits had no animals at all and some almost 10 at one time.

I had a bachelor group come in the first night of 3 year old bucks. Bucks in my area aren’t hitting feeders or at least reliably.

I ended the trip with one turkey & 4 deer in the ice chest. I managed to kill 3 doe in one sit.

I am down to my trophy buck tag and will Lilly be out there week after Thanksgiving. Bucks seem like a light rut is starting but not enough to break up the bachelor groups yet. Target buck showed up on camera after I drove 7 hours home.
                Congrats on the kills. That’s a good trip right there. Best of luck getting your target buck next time.

Comment

Saw my first true mature buck yesterday. 120” seven point come in to a water hole yesterday afternoon with a doe. He sat back and watched her. When she left, he left.

Watched another buck lip curl (flehmen) all hunt. Had about 20 different doe and he wasn’t interested in a single one.

Schleicher Co.

Comment

Sat with a buddy this morning to get him on a wide 20” wide 8 point. He only shows up at this stand when the wind is out of the S/SW & sure enough he showed up this morning with a doe right at first light. A rotten mesquite stump between us & him is the only reason he’s still alive. That stump has since been removed. He was with a doe & when she left, he left.

Saw 4 deer total at the feeder this morning versus 25 deer last night at water. Hunting with a bow only year round can be very humbling but it makes the reward so much better once it actually works out. I expect some big deer to hit the ground this weekend. As long as this wind keeps switching like it is then these deer will stay on their feet.

Mature bucks are ready but the majority of our doe aren’t there yet. Getting real close
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by ccallarman; 11-12-2021, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ccallarman View Post
                      Sat with a buddy this morning to get him on a wide 20” wide 8 point. He only shows up at this stand when the wind is out of the S/SW & sure enough he showed up this morning with a doe right at first light. A rotten mesquite stump between us & him is the only reason he’s still alive. That stump has since been removed. He was with a doe & when she left, he left.

Saw 4 deer total at the feeder this morning versus 25 deer last night at water. Hunting with a bow only year round can be very humbling but it makes the reward so much better once it actually works out. I expect some big deer to hit the ground this weekend. As long as this wind keeps switching like it is then these deer will stay on their feet.

Mature bucks are ready but the majority of our doe aren’t there yet. Getting real close

I think I’d nick name him “long neck”

Hope y’all can get on him! Im also seeing way less activity at feeders right now. They must be out lookin

Comment

NNE wind this evening. Bucks are very interested and are running the doe hard, lip curling, posturing, ready to fight. It seems to be happening. Have to be quick on the release because they’re not staying still for long at all.

Comment

Little Law Man got his first deer rifle yesterday and put it to use this morning!!
                          We rattled this dude in and he put the stomp
                          On him with his 6.5 grendel. Click image for larger version

Name:	3AB0C8F6-C055-4544-98FD-6E9094DF5015.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	213.4 KB
ID:	24669102
                          Attached Files

Comment

Good stuff….^^^^^
                            Congrats to the young hunter.

Comment

Heck yeah that’s awesome!!

I sat overlooking a feeder this morning that has 15+ deer at it every morning/evening hunt and I got blanked. Trail cams around the lease showed them feeding all night last night from the time the sun went down until shortly after the sun came up.

I’m currently sitting in a platform overlooking a water trough. Got some corn spread 22 yards from me hoping for the wide 8 to slip up. Every deer needs water, they don’t need corn.

Comment

Had a whopper of an 8 pointer, that I haven’t seen on game cam, come in this morning. As he worked around the feeder towards my shooting lane, he bumped the 2 does that were there. They ran into the trees where my tripod is located, looked straight up at me, busted out of there, taking the buck with them.

I am trying not to let it get the best of me. It would have easily been my biggest buck to date.

Comment

Working...
                                X