Trapped my first raccoon but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
    I have 2 dozen pics of him working it off the rebar i staked it in with. I’ll post after I get back to civilization.

Next time I think I’ll run a lag screw into a tree instead.
    Don't attach it to any tree that you like. They'll strip all the bark off of it trying to get away. I usually drive a t post into the ground and add a short piece of swing set chain to the trap. I use 2 pairs of pliers to get the add a link really tight. I make the loop on the chain just big enough for me to be able to barely slide it over the post. Haven't lost a trap...yet. They're definitely crafty creatures. They'll also chew the rubber grips off of your pliers if you accidentally leave them on the ground within their reach.

Comment

Steel cable and a lock around a tree fixes that. Only had to loose one before I fingered that out.

Comment

They will also make your water hose a soaker hose if left within reach!

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
          I’ve had a few gnaw their foot off, but never get away with the trap!

Same here, many many years ago.

Comment

I have lost more than one cuff. And I've had a few instances where there would be a 3 legged coon walking around. I do set the traps in the evening and check them 1st thing in the morning. It just happens. I have learned that bailing wire is not sufficient for the cuffs.

Comment

That happened to me on the first one...then I got some thin wire cable and clamps and made leash to loop around trees. No more lost coon cuffs. I also got that coon in another trop later that week. Never got the cuff back.

Comment

I put the trap with chain around a concrete block.

Had 1 coon had a trap on each of his front paws.

He gave me I'm a funked look when I walked up.

Comment

I've had them chew their foot off to get out of a trap. Trapped an aggie coon once, chewed the foot off that wasn't' in the trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                    I had two get away and then found both of them hung the chain on the hog panels on their way out. I got the last laugh

Greatness....I have had one get caught in the V of a cedar tree trying to get out of the pen one saved traps. Bummer of some luck their Ricky!

Also had one that was, according to my Covert, still hooked up to my feeder leg when I checked. Road is pretty rough so I checked before I drove down. By the time we drove the couple minutes down to the blind, he was gone. The hand tightened EZ link was laying there on the ground.... While I was undoing the chain, my buddy's daughter heard a clanking noise us "old folks" didn't hear. She said "there he is!"...and sure enough Ricky was limping across the 35x65 yard pen with his fancy bracelet. Evidently he didn't make it out of the pen and was hiding by the water station when we drove up. Needless to say, we got Ricky's fancy bracelet back.. All traps are tightened with channel locks now.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                      I've had them chew their foot off to get out of a trap. Trapped an aggie coon once, chewed the foot off that wasn't' in the trap.
                      LOL that's funny right there.

Comment

got a few squirrels too...Well...never the body...only the foot..

Click image for larger version

Name:	0000Squirrel foot.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	147.7 KB
ID:	24641090

Comment

I lost a couple traps due to rookie mistakes. You’ll get him eventually after he sheds the trap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

HD J-hooks to whatever you’re using for your anchoring system. Cable or chain stakes. I like earth anchors so you can put traps away from stuff they can leverage off of as well.

Comment

I just use rebar with a large flat washer welded to the end--

Comment

Working...
                              X