Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening. Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

“Match” bullets vs others types

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Coacheddy View Post
    No worries. I did learn something. I had assumed very little difference in drop for same weight bullets,...assuming velocity was similar. Now I know that can be an issue.
    Different bullets from the same manufacturer may be same weight but often use different powder which causes a different trajectory.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Match=paper targets
      Hunting=live targets

If match ammo is literally all you have then soot in the ribs.

Comment

Originally posted by M16 View Post
        It depends. Some match bullets are great for hunting and some are horrible. Unfortunately you never know until you actually use them on game. It’s less risky to use bullets made specifically for hunting.
        x2

I shoot Hornady Black 123gr in my 12” SBR 6.5 Grendel. It does a heck of a number on 175 lb whitetail bucks at 210yds. Have shot a load of big pigs with it as well.

Comment

As has been stated, lots of match bullets have thinner jackets and the core isn’t bonded to the jacket.

However, some of them kill like lightning. You have to be able to place them correctly.
          ELDM has more weight up front than the ELDX. Outside dimensions are the same between the 143 eldx and the 147 ELDM.

Berger bullets kill deer like God himself put them down. I don’t get many exits at closer ranges. At distance they perform more like an accubond for me. I’m speaking of the VLD hunting Bullet.

I’ve shot animals with all kinds of bullets. I don’t mind target bullets until it comes to big critters. Or things like axis that are notorious for not leaving blood trails. IF I shoot something bigger with a target Bullet I take a quartering away or frontal shot and blow up the vitals. They usually go in and explode. Rarely will you get an exit and no blood if they run much. But they more often than not go down like they got hit by lightning. If you pull the shot then good luck lol.

My biggest deer body wise that I killed this year I decided to test a 108 grain hornady ELDM in a 6 creed. Quartering to me. Put it right on the point of the shoulder facing me. Aiming for an exit behind the offside shoulder. Drill him. It actually exited. But he ran 20-30 yards and fell over. No blood trail.

Shot some others quartering away and it was instant lights out. No exit and bullet grenaded so hard it never hit the rib cage on the offside. Lungs blown to bits.

Target bullets kill great IF you hit them just right.

Hunting bullets and especially something built like an accubond or partition allow you to take hard angle shots and blow through heavy bone.

Comment

I shot 2 deer opening weekend with the 147 ELDm out of my 6.5CM. Handloads leaving the barrel at 2650ish. Relatively close shots, both under 100 yards. Almost identical shots, both perfectly broadside, facing left. Straight up the front leg, 40% up the body. First one did an about face, ran into the brush and crashed 40 yards later. I could see the blood pouring out the exit when he turned. The second one mule kicked, and ran straight ahead 35-40 yards and crashed. Both left blood trails Ray Charles could have followed at a dead run. Chunks of lung along the way. I did not open the chest cavity when I cleaned them. Best part was there wasn't one ounce of lost meat in the front shoulders.

Comment

I shot an axis and a whitetail buck with my 6.5 PRC using the ELDM. (mainly because that was all I could find to buy)

Axis went 10 yards, buck fell within 20 yards.

Comment

We've killed a pig or two and a couple of deer with the Hornady/Frontier 75 gr match HP 5.56 out of my AR. No complaints.

Comment

I load my rifles for accuracy if that means a target bullet is what I go with, then so be it. I have killed more critters, from varmints to deer, with match bullets than I have "hunting" bullets if I had to guess or at least 50/50.

That being said, there are certain occasions where I will find a second load with a heavier constructed bullet, such as an accubond. A trophy elk hunt, moose, caribou, etc. would be some of those instances.

Comment

Working...
                  X