No announcement yet.

Timed Protein Feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Lamco and here are my only 2 complaints.

1. if you get a heavy rain and protein in the trough you run risk of it turning to a much then a nasty mess. In the past 10 years I have had to shovel it out a few times.
    2. if you have to move it, the base is massive and will not fit inside the trailer rails.

I'm also about to pull the trigger on a new timed protein feeder and due to the pain in the A factor of moving the Lamco I am either going to pick up the ASF stand and fill, or the Might Buck. Both will fit into a trailer or even bed of my truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Stins View Post

1. if you get a heavy rain and protein in the trough you run risk of it turning to a much then a nasty mess. In the past 10 years I have had to shovel it out a few times.
      2. if you have to move it, the base is massive and will not fit inside the trailer rails.

I'm also about to pull the trigger on a new timed protein feeder and due to the pain in the A factor of moving the Lamco I am either going to pick up the ASF stand and fill, or the Might Buck. Both will fit into a trailer or even bed of my truck.
      You are correct on how big a pain in the rear the big Lamco is to move, we own our places so that is what we went with, it helps when you have access to a sky track, makes moving and filling a breeze.

Comment

Luckily my trailer is wide and the Lamcos fit in between the rails. They are big though, but I love them. I had the 2000# timed All Seasons and had issues.

Comment

I have a TWS timed and just bought the Lamco 1500. So far i like the Lamco better. Easier to fill and can feed more deer at one time. It’s a beast but 2 guys can put it on its lid and move it easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Been running the Feedermax timed units (there are two listed for sale in the classified currently) for close to 15 yrs now, solid feeders, no issues, hold close to 2000 lbs. Have no experience with the TWS timed unit but have acquired one and will b putting it to work shortly.

Comment

Originally posted by Stins View Post

Just turn it upsized down and haul it. It can be hauled in a truck bed that way. Just strap it down well

Comment

Originally posted by buckerup View Post
                I have 4 of the All Seasons stand and fill feeders. Been using them for 4 years and have been very satisfied. I use them in an attractant capacity ( feed a few seconds morning and evening ) along with the regular corn feeders. It seems to work out very well.

Same here....except I've had 2 for 2 years. I like the price (bought used), the movability/size, and the deer dig it. Like the Lamcos too but for me the ASF was the way to go at the time monetarily. I think I have $850 in both. The deer seem to like them as well. I feed heavily in the offseason but cut it back during season so it acts more like the corn feeder as an attractant..

Click image for larger version

Name:	00IMG_0781.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	106.5 KB
ID:	24641346

Name:	00IMG_0782.JPG
Views:	5
Size:	130.5 KB
ID:	24641347

Name:	00IMG_0783.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	24641348

Comment

Smart - what is the theory on putting the feeders on wood blocks ? Keep the coons off of it ?

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                    Smart - what is the theory on putting the feeders on wood blocks ? Keep the coons off of it ?

They are 4x4s....or landscaping timbers depending on which feeder I post. I just did it to get the feeder trays up off the ground another 4" to give the deer better access to the trays under the side rainhoods. One 4x4x8 cut in half did both sides. It doesn't do anything coon wise. Deer pretty much clean it up so I don't mind them eating what the deer leave although we still trap them... They are limited only to that with a timed protein feeder, thankfully.

Comment

Any quirks on the all season timed feeders?

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                      They are 4x4s....or landscaping timbers depending on which feeder I post. I just did it to get the feeder trays up off the ground another 4" to give the deer better access to the trays under the side rainhoods. One 4x4x8 cut in half did both sides. It doesn't do anything coon wise. Deer pretty much clean it up so I don't mind them eating what the deer leave although we still trap them... They are limited only to that with a timed protein feeder, thankfully.

Comment

Originally posted by bbqfan5909 View Post
                        Any quirks on the all season timed feeders?

I'm dang happy with both of mine....but I also have a solid deer population that eats the protein well and keeps the troughs empty/clear for the most part.

About the only quirk at all is that the hoppers past the spinner plate that feeds the trays holds 75-80lbs of protein and the trays hold about 20-25 lbs.....so if your deer can't keep up with consumption, the protein has no where to go and it backs up after 100lbs fed.. I've only had it happen once when I set the feeding amount too high when I first started, during a green time of the year. They didn't consume enough to keep the troughs clear so it backed up. No big deal, I just scraped it off with my hand the next trip into a 5 gallon bucket and dumped it back into the feeder....topped off the feeder and went on with it. My deer for the most part keep it clear daily. You'll figure out a good happy medium feed duration after some experience with your deer.

You can see the hopper past the spinner in these pics...although the spinner is not visible here. I bought this one used and it sat up for awhile with protein in it before I got it.. I just pulled it apart to make sure there wasn't any mess or dirtdaubers in it, cleaned it all up, and took some pics.

Name:	00ASF.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	134.7 KB
ID:	24641381

Name:	00ASF2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	24641382

Name:	IMG_8562.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	24641383
                        Last edited by Smart; 01-20-2021, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Thanks Smart!

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                          I'm dang happy with both of mine....but I also have a solid deer population that eats the protein well and keeps the troughs empty/clear for the most part.

About the only quirk at all is that the hoppers past the spinner plate that feeds the trays holds 75-80lbs of protein and the trays hold about 20-25 lbs.....so if your deer can't keep up with consumption, the protein has no where to go and it backs up after 100lbs fed.. I've only had it happen once when I set the feeding amount too high when I first started, during a green time of the year. They didn't consume enough to keep the troughs clear so it backed up. No big deal, I just scraped it off with my hand the next trip into a 5 gallon bucket and dumped it back into the feeder....topped off the feeder and went on with it. My deer for the most part keep it clear daily. You'll figure out a good happy medium feed duration after some experience with your deer.

You can see the hopper past the spinner in these pics...although the spinner is not visible here. I bought this one used and it sat up for awhile with protein in it before I got it.. I just pulled it apart to make sure there wasn't any mess or dirtdaubers in it, cleaned it all up, and took some pics.

[ATTACH]1037387[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1037388[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1037389[/ATTACH]

Comment

Working...
                          X